Author Topic: Planes, not trains  (Read 2362 times)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Planes, not trains
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »
I know we have a few train modellers here, but this is just as impressive.  The guy who built my custom B15-flavoured 100 watt head is also into remote controlled aircraft.  Here's his latest, build, a 1/6 scale Lancaster!

The model we are building is 1/6 scale. The wingspan is 17' and flying weight will be about 45Kg's. It will be powered by 4 x OS 40 4 stroke petrol engines spinning 3 blade 20" x 8" props. (20" diameter x 8" pitch) There are 14 servos, being controlled by an 18 channel transmitter. There is a lot of electronics involved, engine sync, rotating gun turrets, individual undercarriage control, bomb doors, etc.
It is a model of the Dam Buster plane, the bomb doors are about 1.5 metres long. The undercarriage is hydraulically operated, the main wheels are 200mm diameter. The whole plane is covered with 100 x 3mm strips of balsa. It will have a very light fibreglass covering which will be painted. We have spent about 300 hours on it so far, we want to fly it in August, so there will be a lot of hours to go. First flight will be a very nerve racking time. All up cost (without any labour cost) will be about $20,000!!!
The next project is going to be a similar sized B17 and then a big Lysander. When I get PB going I will add some of the amazing jets our members have built and fly. They are true turbine models.
Re the Merlin sound, a mob in Germany build an onboard sound system which can be programmed for any aero engine sound. It has a 40 watt amp and uses special 3" speakers. Very expensive.

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Planes, not trains
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
I'm putting out the lights and ducking for cover already!!!

Darn, and we had rebuilt Frankfurt so nicely from this ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
I'm confused... mind you, post the "Hellcat" incident... :o

Right... references a Dambuster variant so just avoid areas with large volumes of water and large concrete blocks conspicuously at one end, and you should be just fine and dandy...

The fuselage does not have an open bomb-bay visible so I presume he's planning an exterior "add-on" for the "roller"...

Also, beware of people named Gibson that also have black dogs with non-PC names...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »
The Lancaster is my fave!
I had the plastic model when I was a youngster.
Got a link to these guys, Mark?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:47 AM »

Beautiful work on the Lanc! - I'm quite envious of anyone that has the time and facility to take on such a build regardless of the subject ( I'd prefer a B-17 tho, but that's because I'm an Ami and they made them here in Seattle.)
 Model making is a joy that I pursue more and more of late, along with taking some pics to document the finished project, done well it can be very artistic and an expression of craft. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
Got a link to these guys, Mark?

Sorry Gonzo, I don't have a link.  I just copied and pasted this from a thread on the local guitar gearhead forum.   I'll keep this updated if any progress photos are added.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
Not the first on this scale... Lancaster... B36... 2x B17's... there's a host more...

Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 06:04:41 AM »
I hope this link works because it goes to Facebook. Awesome does not even begin to describe it:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »

Nice to see he that B-17 back together, that's like dropping a locomotive for me.........

Sometimes they just go into a drawer for a while, just too hard to look at!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:53:48 AM »
Mr C... the facebook link certainly works... a B29, carrying Glamorous Glenis, then launching her, then they ignite the rocket...! a bit cheeky having some "crew" bale out and parachute down post a "crash spin-down", and barrel-rolling, etc... :mrgreen: