Author Topic: On topic: model trains and The Who in the same article  (Read 11047 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: On topic: model trains and The Who in the same article
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:37:53 PM »

Wow, pretty cool - Maybe they can get Steve Harris to come in on it too, he's into trains as well.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »
And I thought he was more into magic busses.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 04:09:22 PM »

Love that song..........there are days when I think my musical taste is still 15 years old!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
I noticed Rod Stewart was mentioned, he's a big HO enthusiast.  Golden Saw remodeled his Bel Air poolhouse for his collection in the 80s complete with a track that went around the pool.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »

Rod Stewart's layout is way over the top - just fun!

Brits and trains!
https://www.custommodelrailroads.com/cmr-train-bridge.html

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
Love that song..........there are days when I think my musical taste is still 15 years old!

It's catchy alright and soooo gorgeously dumb!

When I was 15 my train songs were:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 04:35:58 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »
My musical taste around age 15--

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:39:32 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:53:10 AM »

One of my favorite train songs is Bob Segar's "Long Twin Silver Line" unfortunately I can't see to find a youtube of the original, just a lot of poorly recorded live stuff. As train songs go, it's pretty good.

Al Stewart with very thoughtful lyrics......

My folks listened to a lot of Gordon Lightfoot when I was younger, this song is a beautiful tribute to those who built Canada's railways, an all time fave.

of course here's some recent stuff of mine, trains be they real or models are a lifetime love.

My '70s trip.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
Your detail work is just ridiculous...  8)

As an aside, I recently worked in a very large "classic" Highland home owned by a now deceased high-flying businessman and there was an absolutely enormous train-set layout replicating a real section of track and a couple of stations, but sadly decaying as it was his and just left in the house when it was sold to the present incumbants... the kicker is that it's haunted... the owners are absolutely positive about this... stuff just moves about by itself and the place just can't be heated, and it's a loft space... stays cold even in summer... everything was just left there, rolling-stock, engines, track, controls, building material, the whole shebang...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 01:33:49 PM »
Hated them in my younger days, but I've mellowed with age: Cinderella (with a Ric no less!) and one of the most visually stunning videos not dedicated mostly to the female form-

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »

Very, very nice that one!
I always liked Cinderella quite a lot - they changed a bit as time went on as this that song shows.
It's shot on the Cumbres and Toltec which was the famous Denver and Rio Grande Western at one point. The trackage is all narrow gauge, only 3' across resulting in smaller equipment, most of the locomotives are very old rebuilt standard gauge engines that were smaller. Most of of the D&RGW's track in Colorado was originally built to tap it's rich mineral reseveres and was quickly and cheaply constructed, it wasn't until much later in it's history that it's track and route were heavily rebuilt into a modern railroad that crossed or tunneled underneath the Rockies in several places, at the Moffat, west of Denver, at the Tennesee Pass west of Pueblo, Co. and at Soldier Summit east of Provo, UT.
 Long the choice for for my my modeling inspiration I visited and photographed lot of this railroad back in the early 1980s, it was a busy small concern that was merged out of existence by the '90s, I treasure the memories and photos!
The little steam trains as still around today as a tourist railroad.

more models.....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
I like Cinderella too - there was some real quality songwriting underneath all that blowdried hair.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:07:16 PM by uwe »