Author Topic: Welcome to Colorado  (Read 3271 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Welcome to Colorado
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:26 PM »
With quickly changing weather here (I've seen the temperature drop 15 degrees in 5 minutes) we often find ourselves saying to each other "Welcome to Colorado" when the weather does something nuts.

If you've been checking weather, it has now been snowing in Fort Collins for 48 straight hours, and snow is continued to pause later tonight, then resume tomorrow.  Current rate is about an inch an hour.  

Here's a shot of a couple of adirondack chairs on the back patio. I shoveled the path around them about 90 minutes ago:

Since I'm a nice guy, I have been letting my daughter drive my AWD Nissan Murano 30 miles to work, rather than trusting her to her 1991 Camaro, which is not the best snow car.  On the positive side, my wife recently got a BMW 328i with their Xdrive AWD.  It's pretty incredible...one of the best AWD systems I have ever driven. 

Hopefully we'll be back to the 70-degree weather of last week soon.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Welcome to Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »

Wow Al!

You know Winter in Seattle this year was frost on the lawn twice..........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:52:11 PM »
Your storm is headed our way, although it should be more rain and slush than snow. At any rate, I haven't put the snowblower in storage yet.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »
In North Carolina we say "If you don't like the weather, stick around."
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:30:25 AM »
I was just talking to a customer of mine in CO and he said it's been snowing, but it's a good thing because it's been quite dry out there. Water in any form is good! And yeah, let's keep that Camaro off the road.  ;)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »
In North Carolina we say "If you don't like the weather, stick around."
They say this in New England too. Wonder what they say in San Diego? Maybe something like, why wouldn't you like the weather, it's always great.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:54 AM »
The adirondack chairs this AM - and it started snowing again lightly just before this photo...now it is pounding down...just walking from the car 10 yards to the building, you need to brush off a coating of snow.

[/URL]

And since I put up pix of the smoker in operation at Thanksgiving, here's the smoker this AM:
[/URL]

I think we've had 18-20 inches in the last three days.  It's supposed to stop snowing some time tonight or early Thursday AM.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »

Sing along with me......... ;)

"Springtime for Hitler and Germany"
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »
In that spirit, here's a photo of my wife's good Teutonic BMW taken about 10:30 AM.  This car didn't have any snow on it when I parked it about an hour ago.

BTW - I noticed this AM that Photobucket has started putting a double link in their "Image" line - it provides both a URL link and an IMG link.  Pain in the butt to delete the URL link info when posting an image link.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
90 minutes later (Noon) they have closed the university with 7 minutes' notice.

Here's the 90-minute later update on the photo above...compare the side windows on the cars.

I still have work to do so I'll be here for a while.  I'm putting together a presentation for next Weds.

The BUMMER about this is that I'm President of a professional organization which is putting on a one-day conference in Denver this Friday.  This snow is certainly hurting attendance and if it doesn't stop pretty quick we'll be out $3500 and have only crickets at the meeting.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
Ah, tis good to see snow somewhere else besides Buffalo-Rochester!  Hope the conference goes off as planned.  At least you're getting some moisture for the farmers!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
Nuff said:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
Strewth...! and there was me wandering round in a t-shirt all day...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
Strewth...! and there was me wandering round in a t-shirt all day...

Hey, it was shirt-sleeve weather here last week. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
It was p*ss*ng it down here most of last week, and I was working outside most of it... presently suffering with manflu... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...