Author Topic: For you Mopar guys  (Read 3274 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
For you Mopar guys
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »
I saw this at lunch a couple of weeks ago. Came out of the restaurant and there in a sea of indistinguishable silver/gray/white/can't-decide-what-color-I-really-am cars, minivans, suvs and blahmobiles was this '70 Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy Purple. It pretty much stopped everyone cold! It was an auto with a 340 4-barrel. Hot!

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

rahock

• View Profile
Re: For you Mopar guys
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »
Remember how many of those there used to be on road back in 70. Seems like there was one on every corner.
Just heard on the news that Chrysler is making plans to phase out Dodge, Jeep and of all things..... Chrysler. No timeline as yet, but that ain't a gonna leave them with a whole lot :o
Rick

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:03 AM »
Reminds me of the late '60s when the new assistant pastor showed up at our church in a new purple Cuda convertible.

And talk about a kick in the pants - I just found out that in order to update the internal GPS on our 2004 Pacifica, I'll need to buy a CD from the dealer for $250.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »
Remember how many of those there used to be on road back in 70. Seems like there was one on every corner.
Just heard on the news that Chrysler is making plans to phase out Dodge, Jeep and of all things..... Chrysler. No timeline as yet, but that ain't a gonna leave them with a whole lot :o
Rick

That would be a bit extreme! I read they were dropping some Chrysler Dodge and Jeep models and adding the Fiat 500 and Alfa.

Or maybe they'll try to follow the Studebaker plan, earn more money not making cars.

http://www.examiner.com/x-10697-SF-Autos-Examiner~y2009m10d26-Saddle-up--Fiats-plans-for-Chrysler-to-appear-soon-leaks-appearing-even-sooner

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42:19 AM »
I feel better now that I've read that link, Dave. It looks like they are planning on getting rid of most of the bad cars which came about under and after the Daimler fiasco. Hopefully that will strengthen the remaining models and allow for better engineering and quality control.

And too, I'd love to see Alfa back in the US.
Clocks.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:04:16 AM »
Thanks for that piece Dave :). The bit that was on the news was one of those "one liner" things to grab your attention so you can sit and wait 12 freakin' hours for the details. I live in the Detroit area ( once known as the motor city) and news like that can get people jumping out windows :o
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »
Plum crazy purple is such a kick-ass color!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
When the Fiat 500 gets into circulation I predict an increase in the towing and jump starting business. AAA will see an increase in membership.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »

Absolutely right! I saw a pic of next year's Challenger and it looks like they are introducing Plum Crazy as an option. The pic I saw looked great!
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:17:30 PM »
I think his crystal ball is pretty foggy.  There are models in there like the Patriot which are decent sellers. Frankly, Jeep is a like Chrysler can't afford to deep-six, as it has a very loyal following.  The biggest models like the Commander can go, but Jeep is VERY important to Chrysler. I thought that Jeep made a big mistake in killing the plain Cherokee, and it still has a loyal following. The 300 needs to stay, but the Nitro is toast. The Caliber could stick around if they can boost the gas mileage or add 4wd.

I took a close look at Chrysler's line when they were adding their own buying incentive to the clunker incentive.  I couldn't find anything with 4wd that would replace our 1999 Chevy Blazer and actually improve on its gas mileage.  That tells me they have problems with the features in their line-up. (The Blazer is rated 16 but actually gets 19-21 MPG at 80 MPH on highway trips.)

Oh - and don't talk to me about mini-vans.  My wife won't even drive a rented mini-van.  Enterprise tried to give us one and when she saw it, she walked back into the rental counter and told them to give us a different vehicle.  I feel like she does.

LOVE the Challenger, and I'm warming up to the new Camaro fast!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »
The 300 and Charger are getting a redesign in 2011 (Chargers are becoming popular with law enforcement). Rumor also has it that the Challenger will be getting the 6.4L (392cid for those on the right side of this argument) Hemi - probably with horsepower and torque numbers in the 500+ range. The new colors are B5 Blue, Detonator Yellow and the aforementioned Plum Crazy.
There is also another vehicle lurking that hasn't been mentioned in the latest reports - the Chrysler 200C:
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/chrysler/200C.html
Supposedly, there is an official announcement coming in a week or so re the new lineup - which won't be in full swing till 2012.
I'm feeling pretty optimistic...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »

;D
Tell me something I don't know!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
Grumble, grumble.....husky color.....grumble.......

Looks good on the Challenger and on you tho, Mark.

Kinda fond of Crimson myownself.......

I have a Jazz bass in Midnight Blue which my family keeps telling me is Purple.  I grant that under CERTAIN lighting conditions it may APPEAR purple, but I stoutly maintain that it is NOT.

If it were purple, I'd have to sell it immediately - Mark knows why - and I rather like it, so I stoutly maintain its innocence of being purple.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
Great looking car & color. Had a friend in highschool that had one with a Hemi, wraped it around a telephone pole, like a lot of muscle car's fates in the hands of high schoolers.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »

If it were purple, I'd have to sell it immediately - Mark knows why - and I rather like it, so I stoutly maintain its innocence of being purple.

Purple should be okay with you as long as there's no gold hardware.