Author Topic: Two of my unsung late seventies heroes ...  (Read 3253 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Two of my unsung late seventies heroes ...
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »
Apart from The Dictators and Be Bop De Luxe, I loved these two:

Starz (love the bass sound on that), never understood why they didn't conquer the stadiums:

Strapps:

A rock critic once quipped on them: Deep Purple meets Roxy Music. I think they already had some New Wave in them, but their hair was too long for what would follow in 1977. Listening to this track for the first time I was stunned by its power and majesty (nice Ric sound too), after that organ intro all hell breaks loose. And the lyrics confounded me: "Wake up in the morning, coke lying on the table ...". How could "Coke" (the soft drink) lie on a table?  :mrgreen: I was only 16 and knew nothing ... Great bridge at 3.22 too.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:21:39 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Two of my unsung late seventies heroes ...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »
I love "Cherry Baby".  I also wondered why they didn't get anywhere beyond that hit.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
starz was from here in atlanta. the singer's brother was the more famous rex smith who had the tv show about a superhero on a motorcycle, sang with linda rondstat etc.

atlanta is cursed if you are a rock band. mother's finest, jackyl, atlanta rhythm section, col. bruce hampton, sevendust, black crowes etc. all second level bands at best. hip hop is an entirely different story, though.

Max Soren

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
I've heard that Atlanta can be a difficult place to play, too, due to the fact that the audiences can be so hard to please.  Whether this is true or not, I can't say personally.  My connection to the city has nothing to do with music and usually involves the airport in one way or another. 

nofi

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »
the club scene here is thriving. there are tons of places to play and everyone seems to be in a band. however, clubs usually book three or four bands a night of the same general type of music. not much variety happening or "unique" music. most of the local bands i have liked never made it out of town, much less onto a label.

the audiences are mostly posers there to be seen  and rarely give the band a nod unless it is someone well known. you will not make a dime as a local band here. just rehearsal with an audience. :sad:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »

The above is a pretty fair description of Seattle too.........Its why we always leave town to actually make money ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:57 AM »

Starz (love the bass sound on that), never understood why they didn't conquer the stadiums:

Strapps:

A rock critic once quipped on them: Deep Purple meets Roxy Music. I think they already had some New Wave in them, but their hair was too long for what would follow in 1977. Listening to this track for the first time I was stunned by its power and majesty (nice Ric sound too), after that organ intro all hell breaks loose. And the lyrics confounded me: "Wake up in the morning, coke lying on the table ...". How could "Coke" (the soft drink) lie on a table?  :mrgreen: I was only 16 and knew nothing ... Great bridge at 3.22 too.

So...
Starz & Strapps Forever??!!  :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:16:57 AM »
 Starz ! Oh man I bought the first album ! I remember a song called "Pull The Plug". When Bob Seager came to town in 77- or 78 Starz was suposed to open for them but pulled out and we got stuck with Duke Jupiter who at the time were a instrumental Jazz fusion kind of thing not the "I'll Drink To You" DJ of the 80's The bass does sound great on that track. Looks like he is using a Travis Bean in the video.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:53:49 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »
I've heard that Atlanta can be a difficult place to play, too, due to the fact that the audiences can be so hard to please.  Whether this is true or not, I can't say personally.  My connection to the city has nothing to do with music and usually involves the airport in one way or another. 

I've never had anything but good experiences in the ATL.  The Star Bar and 9 Lives Saloon (RIP) are/were dynamite places to play. The Drive In-vasion over Labor Day is GREAT fun for lovers of punk, RAB, rock, and cheesy movies...

nofi

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
you just named the only two places/events that are worth the time. imo the best place to see a show is at the variety playhouse but they usually cater to national talent. i saw junior brown and the residents there the last few years. both those places you named cater to the types of bands you are in. no wonder you had a good time. ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:09:45 AM by nofi »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

Richie Ranno, when he's not doing Starz reunion gigs, plays small bars and (I think) gives guitar lessons here in NJ. He was also selling repro backstage laminates, and has created a small cottage industry marketing old Starz live recordings.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »
 I did manage to see Starz in '76 or '77 opening for Jeff Beck and Aerosmith at the now departed and unlamented Kingdome in Seattle. You could not find a worse venue for sound.........to nothing of its architecture, the day it was imploded was it's finest moment!
Anyway Starz were cool, I owned that first record............crap! I may still, just haven't looked for it in awhile.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...