Author Topic: marty robbins song, fuzz bass  (Read 5079 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: marty robbins song, fuzz bass
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »
I'm amazed noone have made a HI-FI 9V battery with gold contacts for ultimate sound transfer.
Or how about a vintage one for guitarists, with tweed covering and rusty poles to get the right 'brown notes'?

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 11:49:34 PM »
 ;D

I'm pretty sure golden connector 9V batteries would exist if there were enough HiFi gear out there that used them. Battery driven just is'nt HiFi enough it seems. I suppose you need to feed the power supply with a sine wave to get the most realistic sound experience out of the speakers. That fact would toss batteries out of the equation by default.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 04:05:39 AM »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 05:24:50 AM »
Yeah, regarding Eric Johnson he probably had a battery dying at 7V or so. Some pedals have this feature built in with an adjustment pot. That's a whole different matter since the lower voltage supplied changes character in gain structure.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 06:30:13 AM »
:mrgreen:

Supposedly the real story is that he changed batteries in a pedal once and noticed an improvement in tone. The new battery was a Duracell so he's used them ever since. IIRC he has never done any testing and he doesn't claim to be able to tell batteries apart.

A rant about Duracells, I've had a number of batteries leak in the last ten years or so, well before the date on the battery. They have all been Duracells. The old "Copper Top" has been a leaker in my gear. I use Rayovac or Eveready in my 20/20's!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 06:30:42 AM »
A rant about Duracells. I've had a number of batteries leak in the last ten years or so, well before the date on the battery. They have all been Duracells. The old "Copper Top" has been a leaker in my gear. I use Rayovac or Eveready in my 20/20's!

Bonus Rant?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
A rant about Duracells, I've had a number of batteries leak in the last ten years or so, well before the date on the battery. They have all been Duracells. The old "Copper Top" has been a leaker in my gear. I use Rayovac or Eveready in my 20/20's!

Over the past 10 years, I've had more leaky batteries than ever before.  My informal theory has been that they last longer than they ever did, so they stay in devices longer, giving them more chances to leak before being discarded.  Not sure that's right, but it's plausible.

I have started pulling batteries out of any device I don't plan to use for a month or more.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »

I just checked the 9V pack I bought at Costco a few months ago. Duracells. I'll have to start paying close attention. They're inm my smoke detectors and basement water alarms.

I'm amazed noone have made a HI-FI 9V battery with gold contacts for ultimate sound transfer.
Or how about a vintage one for guitarists, with tweed covering and rusty poles to get the right 'brown notes'?

You never know what someone will come up with. There will almost always be people who will believe the hype.

I once bookmarked a parody site (no longer online) which claimed to be selling a tiny bottle of what looked like clear liquid for about $70. You were supposed to brush it on your connections and it would improve the tone of your high-end stereo, guaranteed. I thought it was hilarious until I realized that it wasn't a parody. Some people must have bought it.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »

I have started pulling batteries out of any device I don't plan to use for a month or more.

+1