Author Topic: Stu Cook Basses  (Read 8347 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Stu Cook Basses
« on: May 05, 2016, 06:06:39 AM »
hardly a legend as the article states but some of his prices seem legendary.

https://reverb.com/shop/stus-gear-outlet
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Stu Cook Basses
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:19:23 AM »
Those are what I'd call "well heeled collector" prices.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »
Stu came up with some excellent bass lines back in the day but I'd hardly call him a legend or say that he "helped define the genre" of electric bass.

Nothing there I would pay a premium for, although he has some nice basses.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
I'm not sure if Reverb can handle the pressure, because all the basses were definitely on there earlier. At the moment I can't see any of them, but Stu has had them up on his personal page for years at similar prices (I saw the Reverb page earlier), so I'm not sure what is going on.

My honest thoughts were that it was mostly bunch of overpriced 'meh', a tasty Rickenbacker and a trippy Jazz bass with a suspiciously absent decal. I quite like the Jazz pickup worked into the Rickenbacker, complete with plastic plate modeled on the footprint of a horseshoe pickup. I am interested in what that sounds like, or what the thought process was there.

No sign of this one though!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »
research shows stu is worth 20 million. i think he can lower the prices a bit.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »

My honest thoughts were that it was mostly bunch of overpriced 'meh', a tasty Rickenbacker and a trippy Jazz bass with a suspiciously absent decal. I quite like the Jazz pickup worked into the Rickenbacker, complete with plastic plate modeled on the footprint of a horseshoe pickup. I am interested in what that sounds like, or what the thought process was there.

No sign of this one though!

I wouldn't pay anywhere near what he wants for the Rick, especially with it being modified like that even thought it's been on a few very famous albums. I would however have liked to buy Ron Wood's Tele bass when it was for sale a few years ago in London, but it was a little rich for me at 5 grand, never mind 16 thousand and change for a modified Rick.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 02:41:23 AM »
I would however have liked to buy Ron Wood's Tele bass when it was for sale a few years ago in London, but it was a little rich for me at 5 grand, never mind 16 thousand and change for a modified Rick.

Is that what he used on the Jeff Beck Group records?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 02:58:06 AM »
I like Ron's bass playing with Jeff Beck. Fender should make him a sig bass. ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
So does Gene Simmons - he regards Ronnie Wood as pivotal for his own early style. You can hear some of it here.

And even here:

Stu Cook? I've heard even his former singer won't speak to him anymore.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
I'm not sure if Reverb can handle the pressure, because all the basses were definitely on there earlier. At the moment I can't see any of them, but Stu has had them up on his personal page for years at similar prices (I saw the Reverb page earlier), so I'm not sure what is going on.

I don't understand what you mean about handling the pressure.

Stu Cook? I've heard even his former singer won't speak to him anymore.

John Fogerty has been a complete jackass towards Cook and Clifford, and reportedly wouldn't visit brother Tom when he was dying. In one interview he even went as far as to claim that he wrote all the parts, and when the author disputed that, he then claimed that, well, he didn't actually write them but he told them exactly what they needed to come up with. The guy has been full of hatred and resentment for years.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
I don't understand what you mean about handling the pressure.

I looked at the Reverb link several times the day it was first posted. Twice I saw a full list of Stu's basses, and twice I saw a blank, empty store. I think that because Stu's basses have been posted in so many places (forums and social media), Reverb couldn't handle the number of hits, akin to a DoS attack, and was periodically falling over as a result.

I'm not seeing any basses on his page right now. Have they all sold?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »
At those prices? I'm posting 8 hours after you and I see all the same ones that were there yesterday. But your guess may be right, maybe there were too many hits.

Or maybe it's a DoS attack by John Fogerty.  ;D

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »
I'm not up to speed with the acrimony within the CCR ranks. I'm guessing John Fogerty treated the other guys like hired guns?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 06:15:06 AM »
Dave is right, Fogerty has been extremely harsh with his bandmates. All the hatred he has for Saul Zaentz/the Famtasy Records Label was projected on his bandmates when he felt that they eventually sided/acquiesced with Zaentz rather than fighting him til death us part (Fogerty was even nasty about Zaentz's Alzheimer death). Not a nice facet of his personality at all, too true. What to them was recognition of the unalterable facts, was backstabbing to him. Since I'm not the person that dwells on past (perceived or real) injuries and insults, I tend to be with the other band members on this one.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 06:24:16 AM »
I thought he was some chill old hippie dude with a flannel shirt...  :o