Author Topic: talkbass =no humility  (Read 5924 times)

nofi

• View Profile
talkbass =no humility
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »
i usually only go to talkbass when i want to be more annoyed than my usual state. i notice that almost no one there  can reply to the most banal thread with bragging about something they did or own. i find this attitude depressing and anger inducing at the same time. habitual bragging, 'blowhardness' are my least favorite personality traits. talkbass needs a big dose of humble pie to get them back on track. end of rant.

i had to post this before uwe or some other wag did. :mrgreen: i could not find a good live version of four day creep so here this one again.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:51:22 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: talkbass =no humility
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Say again? Talk what?  :o

"I usually only go to talkbass when I want to be more annoyed than my usual state ...".

You mean there are solid, liquid, gas, and plasma physical states of you being pissed off and grumpy? I never knew, I thought your mood was iconic-monolithic?

But, hey, Ridley's bass playing is impeccable.

PS: Nofi, there's a place for you, the band is aptly-named:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:10:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
I've heard of it... is it relevant to me...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
The last two times I've been over there I've received lectures from people informing me of the time that Eric Clapton stole George Harrison's wife.  I don't know what it is about me which automatically makes people assume I didn't already know about this.  The rule of thumb, though, is that no matter how little the person knows that you're talking to, the assumption is that he knows everything and you know nothing. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »
And George never wrote as nice a song as Wonderful Tonight about her either, so there!

And isn't the historical truth anyhow that George and Patti had become severely estranged (he certainly went for a totally different type of woman later on) and that Eric - helplessly in love with her - bit his lip (and kept his hands to himself) until George approached him about it and they sort of agreed on a wife-cession/assignment? Hey, my best friend is now the significant other of my ex-wife, what the hell am I supposed to say (except: live happily ever after!)?!

Of course, Eric Clapton is a wife-stealer, Cream-killer, no-longer-Gibson-and-Marshall-player-how-dare-he?!, vile Phil Collins-buddy and blues-sell-outer! :mrgreen:

Also one hell of a tasteful guitarist if you ask me. Plus an occasional ladies' man, but that was all long ago.  8)

Good thing we're not gossipy here like those other shame- and nameless (here) fora ...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:01:35 PM by uwe »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »
you are confusing tasteful with boring. white blues guys never get it right,imo.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
But we've been through this, my dear purist Nofi! In my book a post-war limey (who picked up the guitar late in life) doesn't have to play like he was raised black and blind in a Mississippi shack in the 20ies of the last century, I somewhat doubt the authenticity of that.

And I wrote "tasteful guitarist", not "blues guitarist".  :P My favourite Clapton song is probably Badge - that won't be mistaken for a 12-bar anytime soon.  :mrgreen:

"White blues guys never get it right, imo ..."

That's just as wrong as blacks can't rock'n'roll ...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:13:17 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
And George never wrote as nice a song as Wonderful Tonight about her either, so there!

And isn't the historical truth anyhow that George and Patti had become severely estranged (he certainly went for a totally different type of woman later on) and that Eric - helplessly in love with her - bit his lip (and kept his hands to himself) until George approached him about it and they sort of agreed on a wife-cession/assignment? Hey, my best friend is now the significant other of my ex-wife, what the hell am I supposed to say (except: live happily ever after!)?!

Of course, Eric Clapton is a wife-stealer, Cream-killer, no-longer-Gibson-and-Marshall-player-how-dare-he?!, vile Phil Collins-buddy and blues-sell-outer! :mrgreen:

Also one hell of a tasteful guitarist if you ask me. Plus an occasional ladies' man, but that was all long ago.  8)

Good thing we're not gossipy here like those other shame- and nameless (here) fora ...

I doubt if this can actually be proven.  But my own theory on all this is that George Harrison had a love for Pattie Boyd that neither he nor Pattie could fully comprehend.  Most likely, he didn't realize how profoundly he felt toward her until after he had lost her.  He took her for granted, but it wasn't intentional.  However, it was actually the song "Layla" which caused Pattie to finally fall to Eric's charms.  I know this sounds like a soap opera.  But even George Harrison alluded to this during the 1974 Dark Horse tour.  When a reporter asked him a question about his personal life, he said to just listen to his Dark Horse album, that it was like Peyton Place. 

I have already made some similar comments about this here some time ago on another thread, but I personally believe losing Pattie Boyd had an emotional impact on George Harrison that he was never able to fully recover from.  Whether he consciously admitted that or realized that, I don't know.  But he probably did.  I may be making too much of this, but I really don't think I am.  George had no choice put to try to put himself back together after this and when he did there were big differences.  Even his music wasn't the same.  That's why when I speak of liking his music, I am mostly referring to the "All Things Must Pass" and "Living in the Material World" albums.  After that, his music was never the same.  Personally, I think it was never the same because of the void which existed from losing the love of his life. 

Eric Idle may have been correct, though, when he said it's good that George married a Mexican.  I find it unlikely that Pattie would have been able to beat the hell out of their home intruder the way Olivia did.  It saved George's life (for a while.)  Maybe in the long run living is better than loving after all. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
Good. Now let's concentrate on wife-stealing by rock stars and forget about bashing Talkbass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
Or I can stir the pot by announcing that I am a huge fan of both Clapton and Santana.  Others seem to think they have become formulaic and predictable, while I find them both consistently inspirational and versatile!   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »
Good. Now let's concentrate on wife-stealing by rock stars and forget about bashing Talkbass.

I'll add more about the wife-stealing then. 

You've got the "Dark Horse" album which is openly about George Harrison's misery from losing his wife.  It's just one song after another about that.  After a while, it's actually hard to listen to. 

The next album was "Extra Texture:  Read All About it."  This album was even more depressing.  Also, for the first time Harrison had completely stopped talking about anything spiritual.  By the time you get to "Grey Cloudy Lies" on the album, it appears that for the first time contemplating suicide is the theme.  This song has been interpreted in various ways.  Dale Allison writes about the song---

"This relentlessly despondent offering, which recalls a time when the singer put a pistol to his head, documents the dreadful temptation to commit suicide ... It is natural to guess that the absence of God from the lyrics of Extra Texture mirrors a perceived absence of God in George's personal life; and the emptiness was so intensely troubling that it fostered, at least momentarily, thoughts of taking his own life."

To help balance this out, it might be way too simplistic to say Harrison's ill-fated romance with Pattie Boyd caused all his problems, but it was definitely a major factor.  It's not the kind of thing I suppose that most people think about when they think of the happy Beatles playing on Ed Sullivan. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:10:45 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »
I always took it for granted that Layla was about Patti - Pattiiiiiiiihihi just doesn't sing itself over that riff and even a very spiritual George H. might have noticed something. We must be honest at all times, Eric probably thought, but let's not be silly about it.

Can we rename the LBO in LBHO like in last broken-hearted outpouring? I've always said it: scientific evidence and anal obsessions are all very fine, but what we have too little here is true romance. Someone play some Fleetwood Mac, Rumours era please!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »
And I like Devadip too, love, devotion, surrender, that 'tache and oh yeah camera or whatever Hassel-something they sang about. Can't wait for the new album with Rolie, Shrieve and Schon!

Speaking of Shrieve, can't someone say something nice again about Automatic Man? The Thrall of it all. But that was Ferry, I'm getting confused ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
I always took it for granted that Layla was about Patti - Pattiiiiiiiihihi just doesn't sing itself over that riff and even a very spiritual George H. might have noticed something. We must be honest at all times, Eric probably thought, but let's not be silly about it.

Can we rename the LBO in LBHO like in last broken-hearted outpouring? I've always said it: scientific evidence and anal obsessions are all very fine, but what we have too little here is true romance. Someone play some Fleetwood Mac, Rumours era please!!!

Pattie wouldn't have been a very poetic-sounding name for a song anyway even if it could have been used.  I don't know how long Eric took to decide not to use it, but I suspect less than a second. 

As for the other matter of romance, I feel Nazareth's cover of this song pretty much says it all---

And this one--

Finally, the song which inspired the Zombies song, believe it or not--

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:04:52 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:08 AM »