Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Yamaha hollow-body?

(1/4) > >>

Pilgrim:
My wife has indicated she might get a significant birthday gift for me.  I spotted a Yamaha SA-70B bass with original case on Ebay that looks really nice...but I don't know much about these instruments.

Here 'tis: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330335958601

Is anyone here familiar with this model?  If so, I'd sure appreciate any comments or BTDT's.  It may end up going out of our price range, but I can dream....

Chris P.:
Wow, I love the Rickenbacker-ish shape of both horns and the wood has a nice grain. My first thought was 'Fender Coronado Clone', but it has a set neck and those nice horn shapes. They have to reintroduce that shape!

A 70s Yamaha is nice I think? I used to have the famous '67 Yamaha bass with the offset shape and the quality of that one was very well.

Freuds_Cat:
I was tempted by one of these basses here in OZ sometime last year. It wasn't in as good a nick as the one you've spotted there. Even so it went for Aus$450.

Pilgrim:
I am wondering how far the price on this one will go up as the auction closes.  That's one reason I value comments from this group - it helps me decide how far to bid.

In terms of good-looking, that bass is top-notch.  The few reviews I've found of the Yamaha SA series basses and guitars seem to be uniformly positive.

rahock:
I'm not familiar with that bass, but I have a very high regard for Yamaha instruments in general. In the mid to late 70s Yamaha had a number of low to medium priced acoustic guitars on the market and most people just passed them by and went straight to the more popular and more expensive makes.

Big mistake IMO :o.  They were about the best bang for the buck out there. Those that I had the pleasure to play, ranged from good to great and I don't think I ever picked one up that cost over $200 at that time. I think they had everybody beat in that price range and most of the others beat at two, three and maybe even four times the price.
Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version