Author Topic: Midtown Bass on keymusic.com  (Read 7658 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Midtown Bass on keymusic.com
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:35 AM »
That's a nice looking bass indeed!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Very keen to try one of these. Not that I need another hollowbody though.   ;D

It's not a hollowbody. In an earlier thread, the mojo hobo pointed out that Gibson's website page on the guitar version describes it as a chambered mahogany body with a maple top.

....the Midtown line's advanced chambered, solid-wood construction (rather than laminated top and back) to truly embody the optimum marriage of solidbody and archtop.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing how close it is to the original EB-2 sound. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
I'd be quite suprised if it was...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing how close it is to the original EB-2 sound. 

With TB-Plus pickups, nowhere near the sound of an EB-2.  That's a good thing IMHO.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
Wrapping a wet towel around one's head should get the sound in the EB-2 ballpark ;D  (self-deprecating humor.. I do love my EB-2D)

Seriously, though, I wouldn't expect it to sound very close, being that its long scale with different pickups, no boom/suck switch filtering at play, and it sounds like the body construction is quite a bit different.  Looks like it'd be a nice instrument in its own right, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:27:58 PM by chromium »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
I can only paraphrase what he said, but I remember reading some remarks about the EB-2 from someone on the British board last year.  He said although they weren't popular, he had a few and did like the sound.  He said it was good for recording, at least for whatever kind of recording he did.  It was good for a 3-piece blues rock band or maybe jazz trio.  But you wouldn't want to use one in a band with two guitars; you'd have no chance of being clearly heard. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
I can only paraphrase what he said, but I remember reading some remarks about the EB-2 from someone on the British board last year.  He said although they weren't popular, he had a few and did like the sound.  He said it was good for recording, at least for whatever kind of recording he did.  It was good for a 3-piece blues rock band or maybe jazz trio.  But you wouldn't want to use one in a band with two guitars; you'd have no chance of being clearly heard.  

Some crafty EQ and overdrive goes a long way with the louder bands.  EBs in general seem to mate really well with a tube head and some creamy overdrive to add more harmonics and cut thru (the bridge pickups help in that dept too, IME).  They're a blast to play, but coaxing a clear and articulate sound out of them isn't always immediate, intuitive, or possible (it's easier at low volumes, as you mentioned)

That Midtown will likely be a lot simpler to dial in by comparison, and I think those TB pickups are killers - at least based on my brief encounter with an SG.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
I think both ebony and cherry finishes look really cool. But I don't like the sunburst one, I dunno, something about the teardrop patern that makes it look kinda weird, visually unbalanced.

What I find odd is the binding on the neck though. Has Gibson ever made a bass with neck binding? I can't think of any. Probably has something to do with the baked maple, and they have to hide the sides of the board because it might not look too good.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 01:07:26 AM »
The slothead EB-3 had binding. Here they probably did it for a vintage look. It can prevent board shrinkage spikiness unless the shrinkage is so extreme that even the binding breaks, but that normally takes years and when it happens the frets don't stick out as badly anymore.

It will sound nothing like an EB-2, luckily. But it should be close to an EB-650, same scale, same pups (in essence), similar construction (this is chambered, the 650 was hollowbody, but crammed with the hugest sustain block imaginable taking almost all acousticness out of it), only the wood is partially different as the 650 was all maple. The Midtown sould be mellower. But I would imagine it to have a sound most people should really like here.

I believe this model has gained hugely through the long scale in versatility, vintage looks aside, Gibson did something different this time. Let's hope it is more succerssful than its hollow-body predecessors LP Signature,  EB-650 and -750, none of them a bad bass, which were all commercial failures though the Signature at least gained some recognition on the vintage market.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
fenderish. ???

Oops ! I should have said Squierish ....... but that sounds even more cheap ......  :sad:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »
Whatever!  I want a cherry one.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
The smaller body may help sales. The ES-33x series/EB-2 look in a more compact size might be more appealing.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
The smaller body may help sales. The ES-33x series/EB-2 look in a more compact size might be more appealing.

I'd like a smaller body too.  The scale length might be a challenge for me, but I'd give it a spin anyway.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
I'd like a smaller body too.  The scale length might be a challenge for me, but I'd give it a spin anyway.

Gibson's website listing for the guitar doesn't show the body dimensions but does say "...a trimmed-down and more player-friendly body size that still emulates the lines of the ES models..." We'll just have to wait to see how much smaller.