Author Topic: Dust collectors?  (Read 2042 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Dust collectors?
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »
Anyone here using one?  For years I've suffered with the dust and chips and the complaints from the wife about the mess.  Once I get my storage shed built I'll be starting to transoform my garage into a workable shop of sorts.  At this point I'm thinking of something along the lines of a single stage, 1hp Jet, Grizzly or Delta with an upgraded 5 micron bag - space and cost are both issues.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Dust collectors?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
I have a 2hp Jet, it's more than adequate for my needs. Keep in mind that a DC by itself won't be much use on a table saw without extra measures (which I've never taken). It works well for most other uses, especially jointing, planing and thickness sanding.

If I were out in the shop every day, I'd probably do more. I'd buy an overhead air cleaner before I'd buy the micron bags. YMMV.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:35:22 AM »
When I have a few bucks, I'm going to upgrade my vac for better dust collection and also install an overhead unit for the small particle stuff.  Overall, will probably cost $400 for both but worth it.  My shop is permanently in the basement, so I need to work on this issue too.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »
This is something I will need to look into as well.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »
I plan on running some permanent trunk lines on the walls and ceiling to accomodate multiple connections and will utilze blast gates.  Keep in mind that I will permanently have half of my two car garage as shop and that I'll have the other half when the boss lady's Jeep is backed out - so most of tools will be moblie to a certain degree. I'm also looking at the ceiling hung filter unit as well - Grizzly seems to have a better deal on these.

Plus, as a sign of getting old, I'm starting to worry about all of the dust I've been breathing in after 30 years of wood work.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:24:13 PM »
I built a  filter box 20"x20" about desk height  some years ago . I use 2  furnace filters in 2 stages and a squirel cage fan in the bottom. sucks air in top , blows out bottom . I put a  waffle screen from a florescent light / ceiling fixture on top, over 1st filter and use it as a sanding station. panel on front  is fascened with wingnuts for filter changes and  easy motor access. simple light switch on side . 2 wheeles  and a foot make it easy to move

at 1st it was cumbersome.  Once i added the waffle screen it became a very handy sanding station .
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »
We had a huge Enco one here at work, but ended up no one want to change the bag, so we gave it away. We installed overhead exhaust fans.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »
I built a  filter box 20"x20" about desk height  some years ago . I use 2  furnace filters in 2 stages and a squirel cage fan in the bottom. sucks air in top , blows out bottom . I put a  waffle screen from a florescent light / ceiling fixture on top, over 1st filter and use it as a sanding station. panel on front  is fascened with wingnuts for filter changes and  easy motor access. simple light switch on side . 2 wheeles  and a foot make it easy to move

at 1st it was cumbersome.  Once i added the waffle screen it became a very handy sanding station .

Cool idea, I might try something like that for sanding.  I love making my own stuff.  I still use my home made router table.  Sanding dust is a big pain for sure!  Commercial units cost hundreds.  Very smart Shadow!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
That's fine as an air cleaner. It's not a substitute for a dust collector.