Author Topic: Thunderbird headstock repair  (Read 5708 times)

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird headstock repair
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »
I've used hide on double basses with 250+ lbs. of string tension with no problems whatsoever.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »
I wouldn't call that a valid comparison. Much bigger neck, much stouter cross section on a double bass. Even so, I'd never use straight hide glue (without urea added for flexibility) to hold a headstock break on a double bass either.

Hide glue is one of those things that's often talked about on guitar building and repair forums but is actually rarely used in the guitar business. I know some very small shop custom builders use it, but the guitar industry doesn't and hasn't for 3/4 of a century or more. The industry weighed its options and has been pretty successful using synthetic glues all these years.

Blazer

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 05:33:27 AM »
I've been working in a workshop where we repair double basses for over ten years now, if there's a broken headstock, we use epoxy based glue to repair it, it's strong, durable, filling and it dries quickly. We NEVER use hideglue for a repair like that, hide glue mostly is used to repair cracks and splits in the top, bottom or sides of the instruments. If we have to glue in a neck we either use the epoxy based glue I just mentioned or Titebond.

As for our guitar building, we always use syntethic glues like the epoxy stuff and Titebond because they are dependable and strong.
"The name is bond, titebond."

hollowbody

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
I see now that there is really no valid comparison between guitar repair and orchestral instruments.  It's easy to forget the different mindsets.

The number one thing that was stressed to me when I was learning the trade is that the original is sacred.  These instruments have to last hundreds of years, so using epoxy on them can be a huge detriment years down the road.  Guitar players haven't even been around long enough to think that far ahead!  ;)

If we have to glue in a neck we either use the epoxy based glue I just mentioned or Titebond.

Blazer, am I reading that right?  One of the most common joints to fail on a bass and you use epoxy or titebond?  I hope you like making new neck blocks!

Anyhoo, I'll keep mah mouf shut on it from here on out.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »
It's really funny the things we get invested in when building and repairing.  I've seen the same debate over in the Refinishing/Rehabbing forum.  In the end, it's a matter of taste and experience.  This is one debate no one can ever win, but the differing viewpoints are interesting for sure.  Thanks for chiming in!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »
No reason to keep your mouth shut about it, your opinions are vaild. I'm just pointing out what I would and wouldn't do and why.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »
No reason to keep your mouth shut about it, your opinions are vaild. I'm just pointing out what I would and wouldn't do and why.

Dave's right.  No one is expect to "shut up."  There's room for all opinions here and we accept their diversity.  Don't hold back just because we all can't agree!  That will never happen.   ;)

hollowbody

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »
No worries here!  I should have put another wink behind that last line.  After all, it's only the internet...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Thunderbird headstock repair complete !
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 07:17:21 AM »
 Here are some pics of the finished repair. I tried to blend in the finish with a red-brown base color and  various toners instead of just shooting it with a dark walnut that is the norm for these kind of repairs. I am very happy with the results. I can finally play this bass been almost a year !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »
Nice job blending the finish.

But seeing it just laid across those cases makes me nervous. Be careful!  :o

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
Nice work Scott!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Turned out nice.  This is one of my weaker areas that I'm working on.  Touching things up is not one of my skills just yet.  Total refinishing is so much easier to pull off!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Sehr gut. But where do the gold tuners come from?  :o :o :o
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »
LOL They came with the bass, I can't stand 'em gotta order some of these  http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_mh1.jpg
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
Great job as always Scott but

But where do the gold tuners come from?