Author Topic: NAMM 2011: Return of the TB front jack? (And other things, but no chrome!!!)  (Read 14526 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
How long have TBird nerds been convening here? I never noticed much of an appetite for a short scale TBird even among the devoted much as there has never been much clamoring for long scale SG shape basses either. To me it's an oxymoron as both the sound and the look of a TBird are determined by that long neck, but of course I will get one!   :mrgreen: Visually, I'm not all that excited, it now looks like an overweight Firebird to me whereas TBirds are inherently sleek and elegant basses.

The SG-Bass sells - I think - on a mix of heritage and practicability. It has that sixties/Jack Bruce mojo with it (or for younger generations: that Angus Young look) and it is a light and comfortable bass for a petite player, yet doesn't look like a toy or novelty item but has its own slice of iconicness. I could see that shortscale TBird do well with girl bassplayers that like the look of a regular TBird but find it - literally - too much of a stretch to play one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:45:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
I am not a petite player so I have no desire for a short scale bass. And while I am a fan of the NR bird the reverse body doesn't speak to me. Someday though, I will own a long scale SG type bass.

And that black short scale thingie has absolutely no appeal to me. It looks cheap. Even the control knobs not being in a straight line gives the impression of being built by amateurs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It's probably gonna be one growly little creature. I think the TB Plus pups did exceedingly well on the SG RI, so why should they fail here?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Well done Uwe!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Thunderhobbit!

Or:

Hobbird!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:47:45 AM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Someday though, I will own a long scale SG type bass.

That's what I've been playing 90% of the time lately. The balance isn't great but I'm used to a Thunderbird so that's no big deal!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
It doesn't look right to me. And I don't see how it will sound much like an SG.

The SG Bass pickups are not the same as TB Plus. Gibson's site doesn't even call them TB Plus anymore. The blades and the coils of the neck pickup may be identical to a TB Plus but the coils are so widely separated that it would make a big difference in the tone since the portion of string being "read" is so much wider. And it's in a different position than the neck pickup on Thunderbird. The SG bridge pickup is apparently a regular mini-hum.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

My Greco and Ibanez are "short scale" enough for me........I'm curious about the rumoured Explorer tho.......Will they follow Epi? Or repeat the '80s version?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

eb2

• View Profile
I don't know.  The short scale bass seems to be getting a lot of shelf space in the lower end of the market.  Those f#cking awful Gretsch pieces of crap, the Epi SGs and even the slightly better quality Mustang reissues all seem to move out the door, I guess for kids and guitar players who just want to pick one up to annoy people.  So, a peculiar Tbird variant might be a way to grab a piece of the market too.  If you had the choice between a Wretsch and that, what would you go for?  Or that vs an Epi EB-0?  I would get the Tbird.  Compared to a real T-bird, it looks goofy, but it is still kind of cool for a shorty and presumably bargain bin bass.

I would be tempted to throw this on a Tbird in lieu of the crap 3 point.
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=364

Uwe's comment: Admittedly, that does look impressive!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:18:36 AM by uwe »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
More shelf space than, say, 10 years ago. Still a very small portion of the market. I would be very surprised if more than 1 in 50 basses sold are short scale.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It doesn't look right to me. And I don't see how it will sound much like an SG.

The SG Bass pickups are not the same as TB Plus. Gibson's site doesn't even call them TB Plus anymore. The blades and the coils of the neck pickup may be identical to a TB Plus but the coils are so widely separated that it would make a big difference in the tone since the portion of string being "read" is so much wider. And it's in a different position than the neck pickup on Thunderbird. The SG bridge pickup is apparently a regular mini-hum.

That's why the SG RI front pup sounds woofier than a TBird or LP front TB Plus, but the basic character is still there.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
I would be tempted to throw this on a Tbird in lieu of the crap 3 point.
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=364

I just checked that out on the Hipshot website.  Does it fit the T-bird stud spacing?  And why is it called a "D Style"?

eb2

• View Profile
Because it's D-liteful?
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Silly remark. Because it's from a Dunderbird, that's why.