Author Topic: Gibson EB3 wiring help  (Read 5393 times)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
Gibson EB3 wiring help
« on: March 18, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
What I want to do, is wire up an EB3 the same as an EB2D - so tone choke can be used in any configuration - ie i'd have a three way switch independent of the choke control, so I can use the bridge pickup choked. I don't want to add any holes to scratchplates or anything, If I can possibly help it. I want it to look stock.

So - can any of you electronics wizzard give me a way of doing it with a push pull pot maybe?

thanks
jules

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Gibson EB3 wiring help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
Hey Jules,
Did you wanna keep the old 2 vol, 2 tone setup and do all the pickup and choke switching with a rotary switch in place of the varitone? (Banzai Music has some rotary switches that'll work)... or would you rather have a simple rotary switch config just for the choke settings and maybe do a pickup blend/fader with master vol in place of the two independent volume controls? 

There's probably other options, but those two came to mind...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:10 PM »
Off the top of my head, wouldn't wiring the choke itself to a push-pull pot be an easy way to do this?  As I recall the mod for the eb2 overcame the problem that the choke was still partially in the circuit when the choke switch was off (or sompting like dat).  If you replaced one of the pots - say a tone for the heck of it - so that the choke is wired to the DPDT where the down position allows the circuit to exist as is, and pulling up cuts the choke completely out of the circuit.  OR it could be used to redirect it into the lead pup, or out.  At any rate, I think subbing one of your tone pots for a push-pull would allow whatever flexibility you need, sleeper style, and keep the stock rotary.

For that matter you could add a couple of push pulls and hot rod the thing all sorts of ways, while keeping your stock appearance.  Which is always great fun!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »
Thanks guys.

I was hoping to be spoon-fed a little more.  ;)

Yes wiring the choke to a push pull pot is what I want, but despite a very good education, and three immediate family members as electrical/electronic engineers, i'm clueless on where to start.

I've been trying to get the split coil humbucker thing to work for months now, and i'm about to give up.

As far as I can see it is right, but do you think it works?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »
I can draw a schematic to help you - but I just wanted to get some info to make sure its going in the right direction...  There's umpteen ways to do this, and it really boils down to your preferences.

The push pulls will work, but remember that with the choke bypass there are three potential settings you can have.  So since the push/pulls only offer two positions maybe do two push/pulls?  one to toggle between between the original baritone and beefcake modes, and the other to toggle the choke bypass. 

What would go in place of the rotary switch?  Do you want that to do pickup selection?  (also- do you have the original switch?  there are alternatives I can point you to if not)

Also, if you want some help to debug the split coil thing try to shoot some closeups of the wiring and post them here or send 'em to me.  I assume that is for this same bass?  If so (and assuming you get it working) a third push/pull could switch between series and parallel mud modes.  IMO, the signal coil sounded just like the parallel mode - but with hum  ;D  (i.e. not really worth implementing)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 03:59:16 AM »
Thanks Joe...

yes a diagram would be really helpful (though a ludites sketch rather than a scary schematic  ???)

What I really want is the choked bridge pickup (like on the EB2D), I tend to use that sound live... but I want it on an EB3. I do like to swap settings mid set.

I want a three way switch on this one, and after your suggestion, maybe two push-pull pots for the choke options. I don't have a varitone switch for this bass.

Thanks again!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »
Does anyone happen to know where I can find a template or library of symbols that I can use to make "wiring diagram" drawings?  i.e. something like this:

I have tools like Illustrator and Visio if I can locate some pics of the various components to leverage (not very good at doing that stuff from scratch).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
I steal from this site for my wirings, it has alot of interesting stuff.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
I steal from this site for my wirings, it has alot of interesting stuff.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

Hey thanks!  That's a cool site.  I can probably copy the parts off of one of their drawings.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
Wasn't an aspect of the modded EB2 wiring, with the choke completely out of the circuit, that it allowed for the EB2 to behave like an EB3 - in that the choke doesn't have that problem with the stock EB3 wiring?  In other words, you would have to mod the EB3 to allow for the EB2 choke flaw.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
Wasn't an aspect of the modded EB2 wiring, with the choke completely out of the circuit, that it allowed for the EB2 to behave like an EB3 - in that the choke doesn't have that problem with the stock EB3 wiring?  In other words, you would have to mod the EB3 to allow for the EB2 choke flaw.

Yeah that's true on those later Norlin-ized EB-3s.  They had revised the wiring and made it to where varitone position 1 was truly the wide-open mudbucker (filter is completely switched out of the circuit), and the choke only got introduced in switch position 4 (position 3 is just the straight neck and bridge pickup in parallel - no choke there either).

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3_schematic2.php

The earlier EB-3s have that similar residual low-pass filtering effect in position 1 that plagued the stock EB-2s, and the choke is engaged (i.e. "baritone" mode) in positions 3 (neck+bridge) and 4 (neck only).

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3_schematic.php

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Interesting link, Exiled... cheers...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...