Author Topic: Counterfeit strings  (Read 822 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Counterfeit strings
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
This item is from September, I just saw it: Beware of counterfeit strings (D'addario and others)

Not surprising, really. It wasn't on my radar, though, mainly because strings are relatively cheap.

Hopefully all of us are buying from stores we know and not from some Chinese merchant on eBay.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Counterfeit strings
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:00:25 AM »
Did you notice that last comment?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:19 AM »
I didn't notice that! Somehow I doubt they're worried about people like that.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »
At present, not a threat to me since I'm a Labella user, and also like dead strings, so I change once - when I get a bass with rounds.  Or sometimes, I just leave the rounds on for a few years so they lose brightness.  Of course, who's to say that other brands won't be similarly counterfeited?

Incidentally - I bought my last two sets of strings from Imperial Guitars online, and they cost just over HALF the price charged at juststrings.com, my other favorite strings place.  They even special-ordered short scale flats for me and gave me the heavily discounted price.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:48:30 AM »
It helps that Imperial is just down the street from LaBella in Newburgh.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
At present, not a threat to me since I'm a Labella user, and also like dead strings, so I change once - when I get a bass with rounds.  Or sometimes, I just leave the rounds on for a few years so they lose brightness.  Of course, who's to say that other brands won't be similarly counterfeited?

Incidentally - I bought my last two sets of strings from Imperial Guitars online, and they cost just over HALF the price charged at juststrings.com, my other favorite strings place.  They even special-ordered short scale flats for me and gave me the heavily discounted price.

been doing business with these guys for last 10-12 years.  legit and nice guys.   bought most of my dano and epi reissues from them.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM