Author Topic: Fender Violin bass  (Read 1074 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Fender Violin bass
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Fender Violin bass
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
That's weird. I hear heavy bass throughout the entire song - until the solo. Then the bass sound disappears completely.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
Amazing how far those bass synths already were in the sixties!!! I could swear I hear an orchestra, but there is just nothing those fine instruments from Fender can't do with a little signal processing.

I know it's (and they were) uncool, but I always liked the Hollies. I saw them live once in 76 or 77, they weren't a huge draw anymore (though The Air That I Breathe, Write On and Sandy had been comparatively recent chart hits back then), but could still comfortably fill the 1.500 or so seater hall in my home town (which didn't see a lot of pop or rock bands) and the effortless array of hits old and new kept you throughly entertained. Great vocals too. They're one of those bands whose covers I inevitably prefer to the originals. Long Tall Woman was their encore and it saw them turn into a hard rock band for a few minutes, convincingly so, Allan Clarke and Tony Hicks had great pipes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
The other day I heard Bus Stop playing over the PA in the grocery store. That was a real surprise, hadn't heard it in years. It was one of my favorites way back when.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
I kept waiting for Graham Nash to pop up. Was he gone by this point or not in the band yet?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »
I kept waiting for Graham Nash to pop up. Was he gone by this point or not in the band yet?

He was an original member of the band. That clip is from '69, he was gone by then, but he was definitely still in the band when Carrie Anne was released.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:31:30 PM »
Ah... Thanks!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
He left because of this here, he considered it a crime, banalizing his hero, Herr Zimmermann:

And then he met David Crosby at a party and they started harmonizing a little for fun when someone jammed on an acoustic guitar, the rest is history.

I actually consider that album "The Hollies Sing Dylan" a fun period piece today (and even His Bobness would tongue-in-cheek pick up on the "blo-o-o-o-owing in the wind" in later live versions of the song), but I understand why Nash in 1968/69 thought it was a naff thing to do. Dylan was perceived as a counter-culture icon, The Hollies were not and unlike The Beatles never bothered to transcend their inital (and lasting) good-boys image. They were a bit like the UK version of the Beach Boys - minus the warped genius of Brian Wilson as a songwriter.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...