Author Topic: New Squier basses...  (Read 7570 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: New Squier basses...
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 08:12:21 AM »
does any body know if the Tele bass w/ humbucker is solid wood or ply/laminates??
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 08:24:38 AM »
The spec sheet on the Squier Guitars site says it's basswood with ash veneer front and back.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
According to my source at FMIC plywood is not used on any Fender/Squier instrument.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 10:40:39 AM »
Not anymore... I think a couple of years ago they were plywood.

Yep, specs say basswood and veneer, and I have no reason to doubt that.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
Just picked up one of those 50's Vibe Precisions. I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised! While agree with everyone else's posts about Squiers being entry-level, green necks, poor build quality, etc., this bass is really none of that. I have yet to find a problem with construction, finish is excellent, neck straight as an arrow, truss working as it should. The only downside I can find is the pickup ..... a little sterile but an easy fix. Pots are ok, bridge does what it's supposed to.

Overall - and I've tried all the new "Vibe" series - this new batch of Squiers are definitely the best they've released in many years. Not as good as the early 80's Japanese models but still really good for the buck. I haven't gigged the P yet (NYE it gets the true test) but so far in personal practice and rehearsal, it's great.

For the money - get one. If nothing else, it's a decent platform to install some new electronics and mess around with.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 12:20:56 AM »
Just picked up one of those 50's Vibe Precisions. I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised! While agree with everyone else's posts about Squiers being entry-level, green necks, poor build quality, etc., this bass is really none of that. I have yet to find a problem with construction, finish is excellent, neck straight as an arrow, truss working as it should. The only downside I can find is the pickup ..... a little sterile but an easy fix. Pots are ok, bridge does what it's supposed to.

Overall - and I've tried all the new "Vibe" series - this new batch of Squiers are definitely the best they've released in many years. Not as good as the early 80's Japanese models but still really good for the buck. I haven't gigged the P yet (NYE it gets the true test) but so far in personal practice and rehearsal, it's great.

For the money - get one. If nothing else, it's a decent platform to install some new electronics and mess around with.

Will have to agree here, in spite of all my previous comments about Squiers. The Vibe series are in another league. We got in the P and the Jazz and both are pretty impressive at their price point and maybe a bit higher. Durability remains to be seen, but they look pretty well screwed together.

Please give us a report on how it does live.

Cheers!

Scott ( BassVI )
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »
The only thing I didn't like about the jazz was the pickguard.  It looked more lava lamp than tortoiseshell.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:08 PM »
OK - here's the review:

First, I should mention that between picking up the 50's Vibe (just prior to Christmas) and the NYE gig, I also scored a virtually-new 60's Vibe Jazz for a song. So ..... I can give you a first-hand review on both models. I will say this - late on Dec. 31st while packing up my gear and heading out to the venue, I did not hesitate one minute to take ONLY these two basses and leave their (much) more expensive Fender counterparts at home. During rehearsal prior to NYE, they both held up exceptionally well and after going over them from headstock to strap button, there really are no significant build issues to speak of. This latest batch of Squiers really are the best they've made in many, many years. I would put them at slightly better than their Mexican equivalents ..... maybe not quite as good as a Japanese/American Fender but amazingly well put together - especially at this price-point. They both sounded freakin' great on the NYE gig. In fact, several of the bassists in attendance were impressed and couldn't believe that I had about a third the money tied up in these two basses that most would spend on one. So, here goes .....

50's Vibe Precision

Tone: Sounds like a '51/'55 should, decent definition .... boomy when it needs to be, growly with a little more of the tone dialled in but really old-school. No significant noise or hum out of the pickup/pots but a little sterile. I think the bass is a likely candidate for an upgrade in the electronics department but I'm going to give 'er another whirl this coming weekend. For low-end thump on Rockabilly, Blues, Country, Roots-Rock, R&B and Motown - it's great. Versatility? Not alot but then again, if you want a Sadowsky, get a Sadowsky ..... 'cause this is definitely NOT an all-purpose bass. The tone out of the pickup is what you would expect - very comparable to the Sting '51 Precision.

Construction: I would rate it very good (again, for this price-point). Nice finish with no blemishes, really nicely finished neck. Machine heads are identical to Mexi Fenders. 4-saddle bridge which (IMO, YMMV) is an improvement on the 2-saddle that this model is usually equipped with but it's not string-throuh. White-on-white pickguard, no-frills but functional. Push-on control knobs and a cheesey 2-cent hunk-of-plastic excuse for a tugbar round it out.

Set-up: Pretty good right out of the box. Needed a 1/2 turn on the truss but the intonation and saddles where fine and pickup height was where it should be. I did, however, find one fret that's *slightly* high and the last 3 or four frets could have been dressed better than they were. Certainly not a deal-breaker for a mass-produced, Chinese copy.

Overall: Durability remains to be seen. If anything - and this has been said before - time and climate change will probably affect the neck the most (if at all). For what I paid, I'm satisfied.

60's Vibe Jazz

Tone: Really good. I'm fairly certain that the pickups are Wilkinson's (judging from the bridge .... see explanation below) which have quite a different tonal quality from Mexi/US Jazz pickups. A lot boomier with more mids present ..... I would almost say kind of Thuderbird-ish. Good response on the tone control and surprisingly, no 60-cycle hum when panned more to the neck or bridge. Sounds just like you want a passive Jazz bass to sound. Very versatile tones at your fingertips but tough to make a comparison as these pickups are clearly NOT Fenders or a dirivitive. Sounded good when thumbing, finger-style, for slap/pop stuff and when really digging in on a straight eighth note groove.

Construction: As indicated above, very good. No big flaws that I could find anywhere on this one. The cheap tugbar, push-on knobs and pickguard are to be expected. This model has a brass-saddle standard bridge which I'm fairly certain is of Wilkinson origin but I haven't seen anything to support this ..... just a guess. The tone out of the pickups, however, is identical to a set of Wilkinsons (which I actually have in another fretless passive Jazz) so I'm fairly certain that Squier and Wilkinson are in bed together on the Vibe series. Again, nothing to report ...... feels great and when compared to pretty much any model of Fender Jazz (and I've played a boatload of 'em), this bass holds its own.

Set-up: I picked it up used so it was reasonably well set-up already. Neck feels good, truss and bridge work fine. No fret issues .... plays like a $1000 bass.

Overall: Very satisfied.

Comparing the two, I'd say the Jazz is the better instrument simply for the increased tonal possibilities and the use of higher quality pickups and (IMO) bridge. I have a total of $500 invested in these two basses and if nothing else, they will serve as the platform for some serious mods in the future. For now, they stay as is and are in steady rotation. From a players standpoint, I recommend both models.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:09:42 PM by luve2fli »
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »
Cool! Congratulations and thanks for the review!  I reviewed all three new Squiers for this Dutch magazine and I like 'm too!

I was in love with the powder blue P, but in one way or another it was the LPB P I kept playing.