Author Topic: NBD '67 Nonreverse Thunderbird  (Read 11119 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: NBD '67 Nonreverse Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
Stiffening the neck can change tone. Whether it's enough to be noticed among all the other factors is anyone's guess.

If the stiffness lasts for four hours or more, call your doctor.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:05 AM »
It certainly can, but I doubt if in that  small and relatively low region.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: NBD '67 Nonreverse Thunderbird The good , the band and realy ugly
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
 Well it's here ! Thanks again Anthony for all your help. Lets start with the headstock repair. Stable but not the best looking job a bit overkill imho. I looks like the entire headstock is done in fiberglass or carbon fiber, you can see the dimple pattern of the weave. There is a big metal plate from the nut extending past the truss rod cavity. This makes a rather large hump on the top of the headstock UGLY. the good news is that it isn't moving. The bass had a pro refin in metalic black/purple, If I wasn't going to redo the headstock I would leave it this color it's pretty cool and as I said well done. Now for the good news everything is here, no parts hunting for this baby. The truss rod functions just fine. I gave the bass a quick cleaning, removed the trim washers from under the pots and installed the correct small ones., cleaned the fingerboard and put the tuners back on. The bass plays great, low action and sounds like a good Tbird should. All in all I'm very happy now I'm just thinking about how to approach the headstock. Pics soon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:14:29 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »
Glad to hear it made it safely. I know I've told you Scott, but just for the rest of the forum, that was the first NR Bird I've EVER seen in person.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
Glad to hear it made it safely. I know I've told you Scott, but just for the rest of the forum, that was the first NR Bird I've EVER seen in person.

That's one more than I've ever seen in person!

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

natdaniels

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »
Hi Scott, I was wondering if you got my email. I'm excited for you on getting your bass. I hope you'll be happt with her. Please let me know what you think about her. Jim

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:14 AM »
Congratulations Scott!
How many NR Tbirds do you own now?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
Hi Scott, I was wondering if you got my email. I'm excited for you on getting your bass. I hope you'll be happt with her. Please let me know what you think about her. Jim
 Hi Jim! Good to see you here. I like her just fine Jim, these things are pretty rare so finding one in any condition is something to be happy about. There were only 435 Nonrverse Thunderbird IIs ever built, I now own 4 :) My only concern about the bass is the headstock repair and I was aware of that when I bought her, no big deal really I am just figuring out a plan off attack. I am a bit perplexed by the excellent refin combined with the elaborate yet poorly executed repair. The two holes filled in the finger board have me a little worried I can only hope they didn't use screws to put this back together. Worst case scenario is I replace the headstock. Someone really cared about the bass to have the work done I get the feeling that the bass was not played much after the repair/refin. There  are some light buckle scratches on the back and that's it other wise the finish is in really excellent shape. Jim, thanks again for for holding it for me, I am very, very happy with the bass.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:36:11 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 04:50:28 AM »
 Pictures! You can see bare metal where I did a little exploritory sanding  :o
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:35:25 AM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »
 There is a metal plate in it's head! 1/8" thick aluminum plate buried under lots of fiberglass and bondo, No less than 5 machine bolts and two finishing nails.  Pics coming. I got work to do right now
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:04:44 AM by godofthunder »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
That plate will be a nice match with the one you have in your skull, Scott? Do you still hear Bulgarian shortwave radio snippets at night?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
   So here is my plan of action. I don't think I need to replace the headstock though all manner of atrocities have been conducted on it. I have removed as much metal as I can, screws, metal plate etc. I have sanded the top of the headstock flat.The repair is still holding strong, I am going to doll it up with West System epoxy and shoot the headstock face in black. Hopefully everything should hold.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:26:34 PM by godofthunder »

natdaniels

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
Scott, All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! Jim

natdaniels

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
Scott, Were either of the pots original? Is that how you came up with the year? Jim

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »
One pot is original I have not checked it yet, I thought the original CL add said '67 not sure though. The serial # is gone. What blows my mind it the original repair should have been a simple glue it, clamp it touch it up kind of job. The work is well meaning but certainly not done by a luthier most likley a auto body guy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:34:34 PM by godofthunder »