Author Topic: New Superfloor recordings  (Read 1879 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: New Superfloor recordings
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 03:09:19 AM »
darn compression -its additive in a logarithmic fashion you know-if you have compressed your recording some its going to sound very compressed on the radio.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
Personally, I thought you were a bit back in the mix (that's the bassist talking) but I'll load them on the ipod and listen to them on a run I've got tomorrow - if it works at motorway speeds in a van, it works... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 02:32:38 AM »
great quality mastering is a black art to me. I leave it to the pro's. Somehow I get all tangled up when it comes to multi band compressors etc.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
Honest opinion - hopefully not too honest...

The bass is there but as you said, not that defined - the sound is pretty good (imho), but just needs some crispness, drums are fine but the bass-drum is a wooly, Floor's possibly a bit to up-front in the mix (not sure the vocal "effect" in the middle of one number works in this mix), guitars fine (personal taste says the "SRV" riff should be "cleaner"), I think you keys player should shoot the mix-man - you can only hear him on one break and just towards the end of the "SRV"

(can I come out now...?)

Overall opinion is that they are great numbers; with a little bit of work, they may reach brilliance...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Honest opinion - hopefully not too honest...

The bass is there but as you said, not that defined - the sound is pretty good (imho), but just needs some crispness, drums are fine but the bass-drum is a wooly, Floor's possibly a bit to up-front in the mix (not sure the vocal "effect" in the middle of one number works in this mix), guitars fine (personal taste says the "SRV" riff should be "cleaner"), I think you keys player should shoot the mix-man - you can only hear him on one break and just towards the end of the "SRV"

(can I come out now...?)

Overall opinion is that they are great numbers; with a little bit of work, they may reach brilliance...

Thank you Kenny. Much appreciated.

-bass not defined - agreed
-needs cirspness - agreed
-bass drum wooly - agreed
-lead voc up front - hey she's the front lady  ;)
-effect in the middle - just trying things out. I thought it needed something extra there. not sure myself either  ;)
-guitar cleaner - I like the diversity in sound. Our former guitarst basicly had just one sound. The new one is more versatile.
-keys - They are a bit of a problem. Especially the piano/rhodes/wurlitzer parts tend to get in the way of things. That's why I muted them a lot. ( he agreed upon that btw). I think he should change those parts. Especially what his left hand does.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
Floor's voice in the middle of that specific number - just her own voice with some reverb or someone harmonizing with her would work... if it's a Zappa "style" live work (which much of his stuff was) it's a framework to use...
Keys being a problem... hmm... would a hard Hammond B3 style work...?

Just listened back with headphones... surprising how different the mix sounds...
"T&T" - Floor's about balanced, bass is really leaping out (oh dear, let a bass-player control the mix ;D), guitar is spot-on - it would really suit a Hammond B3 sound...?
"DGMW" - where did the bass go...? keys sound better - drums are all a bit fluffy
"HGL" - the vocal effect might work if not quite so "effected" - a bit "easier" - drums and bass are as on "TGMW"
"SNS" - sorry Floor, he's definitely put too much up front (is that you on the bgv's? bring them up a bit), nice bass, very nice guitar, drums are still fluffy, especially the snare.
All of them lack bass-drum definition...

Definitely listen to a mix on differing systems - definitely try a basic system in a vehicle at speed - I've said this to people before, many of us listen to music that way...

The further I go away from jokes about "front" and your "other(better) half", the safer I will be... the North Sea isn't enough distance... ;)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »
Thanx again Kenny.
Our keyboard player uses a Hammond XK3. Not a B3 (thankgod! that would be an ordeal to haul around).
He has a Leslie. But he hardly ever brings it to gigs. Instead he uses a pedal for the Leslie effect.

What you hear on these recordings is mostly the Hammond. They are kinda low in the mix because I think they'd get in the way of the guitar and/or bass.