Author Topic: Uwe's Shortie T-Bird  (Read 9235 times)

Hornisse

Re: Uwe's Shortie T-Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »

I believe he was using his Slab P on this one, no?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »
Had it in the rehearsal today, it sure has sufficient bass. For it to cut through and not just fill, you need to boost the mids though. In my case over my Anniversary SVT from 12 midday to almost 6 pm. But it sounded fine then, the mids are there, just drowned out by the other frequencies in a regular setting.

It plays and sounds well. It's a very good shortscale but so are SG RIs or LP Recordings/Triumphs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:26:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
That's what you expected, isn't it? No matter what you do, a short scale T-Bird isn't going to sound like a regular T-Bird. Not a matter of which is better, it's just different.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2011, 08:40:50 AM »
Soundwise it actually came out better than I thought! It's docile, but full. Something I'd gladly play on a studio track perhaps where short scales tend to come out better than in live situations me thinks. True, no point in it trying to sound long scale when it's not.

I still find it hard to envisage who at the end of the day might want to play it live though. If you love TBirds, the long scale look is just sleeker and more impressive. Girls might like it after all, but are there enough women bass players in the world that crave for a TBird, but find the real ones to cumbersome to justify even a limited quantity of 400?

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Now you're drifting into the stereotypical demographic for short scale basses - girls, guys with small hands or short arms and - guitarists. As loved by ebay sellers of EB3 knockoffs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
I like a short scale sound, especially on the D and G string where I actually prefer it to long scale. But: There is no need for me to play a short scale for ergonomic, string pull or shoulder/weight issues. My hands are large enough to find a 34" scale perfectly comfortable. I even prefer TBirds and Explorers because they look so friggin' huge!

So that leaves me with a bass that looks a little too small for me (I'm 1.89 meters) - it's an issue with all short scales not just this little Babybird which as short scales go doesn't even look that tiny but still too small to look and feel right on me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:22:48 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
Now you're drifting into the stereotypical demographic for short scale basses - girls, guys with small hands or short arms and - guitarists. As loved by ebay sellers of EB3 knockoffs.

I have never understood this. If someone prefers the tone and feel of short scale basses, that's fine. They have their own thing going. But small hands shouldn't be an impediment. With bass -- long or short scale -- you can always move position more unless you're into complex chording.

My fingers are on the short side and I never could stretch them as much as most people can. It's never been a problem for me on a long scale bass, but there are figures on guitar that I just can't stretch enough for.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:55 AM »
I apologise for this suggestion in advance.  ???

Set of steel ukelele strings, tune GCEA, learn "Tiptoe through the Tulips".

There's a precedent ...

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0412704/details.html?kbid=1582

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:08 AM »
I have never understood this. If someone prefers the tone and feel of short scale basses, that's fine. They have their own thing going. But small hands shouldn't be an impediment. With bass -- long or short scale -- you can always move position more unless you're into complex chording.

My fingers are on the short side and I never could stretch them as much as most people can. It's never been a problem for me on a long scale bass, but there are figures on guitar that I just can't stretch enough for.

I agree with this. My LP bass has a chunky neck, but once set up properly is one of my easiest most comfortable necks. Also I feel this is in part of where the neck is set into the body, no gorilla arms needed.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2011, 04:47:31 AM »

So that leaves me with a bass that looks a little too small for me (I'm 1.89 meters) - it's an issue with all short scales not just this little Babybird which as short scales go doesn't even look that tiny but still too small to look and feel right on me.

Most short scale basses are still bigger/longer than electric six string guitars.
So I think it's kinda weird that bass players say a short scale bass looks too small on them, whereas guitarists -who are generally the same size as bassists- never complain a regular Strat or LP looks too small on them?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 05:47:04 AM »
There is a reason that I play AN INSTRUMENT and not a toy, Rob!!!

Guitars are wonderful instruments in principle, what sets them back badly is:

- two strings too many (in the wrong direction too),

- a whole octave too high,

- a silly miniature scale and

- about 90% of the people who play them!

:mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
Most short scale basses are still bigger/longer than electric six string guitars.
So I think it's kinda weird that bass players say a short scale bass looks too small on them, whereas guitarists -who are generally the same size as bassists- never complain a regular Strat or LP looks too small on them?

Good point. Think about Leslie West and his LP Juniors back when he weighed 400-500 lbs. or so. I can't remember anyone saying they looked too small for him.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
I certainly did! Leslie would have needed a Ripper bass.

I think most bass players are educated to regard a certain bass size as normal and comfortable. And that to many average height people means long scale, it might mean something else entirely to Suzi Quatro. The small guitar size of the 90ies LP bodies - never a balancing issue, they were heavy enough - never found many fans among bassist. And the reverse TBird's enduring popularity - no other bass is as hopelessly flawed in upper register accessability - has a a lot to to do with its size. No one will mistake it for a guitar.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:23:56 AM by uwe »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »

\

I have long fingers and prefer long scale basses generally but even I find it easier to play double note finger per fret rhythmical repetitive 12 bar progressions around the 3rd fret on a short scale bass. I'm not suggesting its a requirement, but it is certainly easier to do.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »

I have long fingers and prefer long scale basses generally but even I find it easier to play double note finger per fret rhythmical repetitive 12 bar progressions around the 3rd fret on a short scale bass. I'm not suggesting its a requirement, but it is certainly easier to do.

Agreed, no doubt it's easier. Even so, I'll have to change position more than you will.