Author Topic: firebird red Gretsch G6199B Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird Bass  (Read 3231 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
firebird red Gretsch G6199B Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird Bass
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:22:47 AM »
Guys,

Here's some news.
I have terrible problems in my relationship. My girlfriend has very bad panic attacks since seven months and finally she got help. She completely terrified of batteries, soap, but another day it can be a fence, an oven. Just random things can scare the hell out of her at random times. After ten years of relationship she isn't herself anymore and it's very bad to see. A couple of weeks ago she decided I was 'evil', she has thrown me out of my house changed the locks and I haven't talked to her since. She has got professional care now, but as you can imagine I am devastated after ten very good years without any problems. I don't know how long this will take and if she gets any better at all. It's a long story, I am not ready to talk about it yet, so I'll keep it with this short notice. And let's talk basses!

It's totally understandable you think I am the one who's crazy, ha ha, cos I sold the 4005WB for a good price to one of it's first owners in The Netherlands. Why? It was my dream bass and I never wanted to sell it. But I have it for 12 years now and I played it once with The La La Lies, once with Boilersuit and I recorded a vid with it.  That's it. It hasn't got 'my' sound and it doesn't play that well. I thought of selling it for years and I don't have any regrets!

I parted the money I got into some cash for future (got to find another home, buy stuff, ..), but of course I also bought the bass I wanted for a long time. A firebird red Gretsch G6199B Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird Bass ;D You can find some pics at:

www.flickr.com/chrispdekker

Some first impressions, more to follow: It's a great looker! It's very pretty and very nice built! The body is very, very light. Officially it's 'heavily chambered' but it feels more like a Höfner than a Rivoli. T think the top is very thin. So it's very light and it sounds very hollow. A great fat sound!!
More to follow if I played it more. A guy from a Dutch bass forum said something like this:

'So, yesterday evening I saw Chris Dekker with his La La Lies and he had a nwe bass. A Gretsch Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird bass. What a momnster sound! Whoh! Gas. Yes, and this sound. Just 'enormous', super fat, loud, a big bump in the low mids. Everthing was right!'

I like it:D More pics and experiences will follow.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: firebird red Gretsch G6199B Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »
Geez, Chris. I am shocked to hear about Loes' problems. Hope she gets help.
Hang on buddy.

Congrats on the Gretsch!

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »
Congrats on the bass but more importantly, thoughts and prayers to you and yours. I've been where you are for years dealing with something quite similar and all I can say is it takes time to get through it. Great to hear she's getting help though ..... all you can do is be there for her when she needs you and hope for the best.

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »
Chris, I'm so sorry to hear about Loes' personal problems. Be strong.

I wondered how long you would be keeping the 4005 after you posted recently about it. No reason to keep it if you're not that sentimental about it, and you were able to get that BillyBo with the proceeds.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:09:52 AM »
hi chris, i to have experience with this sort of thing. it can be a long haul but you both will get through it. just hang on.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
Chris

So sorry to hear this...hope you can pick up the pieces...be strong, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people here who will be praying for you both.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
Thanks guys. Really appreciate this:)

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
Chris, I'm another that has gone through something similar.  take care of yourself and hang in there.  Loes is getting help, which is paramount, but don't neglect yourself during this time.  my prayers are with you.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Chris. Loes obviously needs therapy on this and you'll need a lot of patience. Some things sometimes just crack open and Loes is at an age where that does happen so seldom with young women. We live in times where people are much more perceptive for such things and where treatment is so much more sophisitcated, so don't despair!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »
Chris, I am very sorry to hear of all this. I hope things get better for Loes and for you.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Good mojo for you and Loes! My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder and there's often no telling what will set it off. Be strong and realize that it's nothing either of you did and that it couldn't be helped.

Nice bass, by the way!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:21 PM »
My first wife was bipolar.  Run!

Back to bass - that Gretsch is gorgeous.  There's a used one on eBay at a nice price too .... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GRETSCH-G6199B-BILLY-BO-JUPITER-THUNDERBIRD-BASS-/290493895058?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a2c91192
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
My first wife was bipolar.  Run!

Back to bass - that Gretsch is gorgeous.  There's a used one on eBay at a nice price too .... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GRETSCH-G6199B-BILLY-BO-JUPITER-THUNDERBIRD-BASS-/290493895058?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a2c91192

DANGIT!!!  Don't DO that!!  I can't buy any more basses at the moment.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 04:42:15 AM »
Thanks for all the nice words, guys. And now tell me how gorgeous the bass is!:D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »
Thanks for all the nice words, guys. And now tell me how gorgeous the bass is!:D

[...intently looking for "drowning in drool" icon....]  :thumbsup:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."