Author Topic: At $50K, "price is very fair"  (Read 1085 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: At $50K, "price is very fair"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:13:47 PM »
Yes. It’s a little overpriced. But while driving with my wife to work with my 2003 Mercedes I said her: we spend for this car 30K, 15 years ago, and now it’s value is almost zero. If I had spent 30k in high end basses I would have recovered most of the money. So maybe could be a good idea to invest in this.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
Yes. It’s a little overpriced. But while driving with my wife to work with my 2003 Mercedes I said her: we spend for this car 30K, 15 years ago, and now it’s value is almost zero. If I had spent 30k in high end basses I would have recovered most of the money. So maybe could be a good idea to invest in this.

Maybe not. From Hamer expert Jon Maye MC2NY here) on FB:

Well......maybe you guys should look at this LOGICALLY. This is a RE-USED BROKEN Epiphone neck on a custom Explorer body. NO serial number. NO Hamer logo. Gibson pickups and hardware......SO, how much is the market value for an Epiphone Embassy with a snapped off headstock? Or even a Gibson Thunderbird with one? $1200-2500!! Then, even if you DOUBLE that because it is a pre-production bass OR to what SN#003 sold for......NONE of this brings the value much over $5,000-7500 range. I've bought and sold MANY equally rare Hamer Basses recently (Quads and celeb B12As, for example) and even vintage Thunderbirds. ONLY Helen Keller might think this bass is valued anywhere near $50k. It is a $5000-7500 piece. I actually OWN a few early Hamer Standard Basses WITH the same necks as this one, WITH seria numbers and WITH logos....and UNbeoken headstock!!! Even celeb ones! Maybe I should list them ALL alongside this one for $100,000?!?!? IMO, when sellers list instruments in this way -- alleging facts and history with insanely high, unrealistic prices, for "shock effect"-- it actually "poisons" and DE-values the instrument in the minds of the public. Plus, I KNOW what Hamer SN001 and SN002 SOLD FOR.....and I ALREADY discussed this bass with the seller TWO YEARS AGO

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »
Yeah in this case it’s not a good investment.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:56:17 AM »
I'm going to have to ask a lot more for my Embassy when I finally sell it.  It was owned by both Tom Petersson and Jon Brandt at different times.  Very little provenance, but I do have a picture of Brandt playing it when he owned it.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:24 AM »
Sell your Embassy? Isn't your daughter counting on inheriting it?