Author Topic: Unbroken 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV!!!  (Read 4945 times)

pilgrim9

• View Profile
Re: Unbroken 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »
$7500 is a few used cars, I can not believe the price of vintage gear now days.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:17:23 AM by pilgrim9 »
If you push something hard enough it must fall over.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 04:28:16 AM »
$7500 is a few used cars, I can not believe the price of vintage gear now days.

The economy is improving and $7500 ain't what it used to be!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »
When I played for a living, I used to say that I spent more money on my bass than I did on my car.  I wasn't driving much of a car back then, either.  I've gone through more than 50 vehicles since I got my license, and I've had the same car for 11 years now.  These days, it costs as much for me to replace the lug nut caps on my car as my whole car used to cost.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:46:22 AM »
Earlier this year I put a new motor in my '93 240 wagon and I'd do it again. Most of the new cars I'd be willing to buy and drive I can't (or don't want to) afford.
My Dodge W250 diesel is a '91 and if I had to replace it I'd replace it with another '91-93 diesel.

$8000 would get me a replacement for either of those or I could finish both Indians AND an old Ducati I have.

Piffle on spending $8k for a bass!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »

Piffle on spending $8k for a bass!

Here's my line of thought when it comes to basses:

No way would I pay over $800 for a NEW one.  On  the other hand, if I have the money, an OLD bass that I want is worth WHATEVER the market price is plus a small premium.

I'll always be able to recoup the market price and the premium is worth the pleasure of owning it...why not buy something I want if I have the money? 

Of course I already own a pair of '64s.  And judging by the currently escalating prices they'll be worth more than I paid for them if/when I decide to sell.  If not it still won't reduce the joy they've brought me.

Those unbought new basses will generally be worth slightly more than half what they cost new, disregarding inflation.

If you play a GOOD example of an old bass and compare it side by side to a new "Reissue" you might understand why someone would pay 4 times the street price of a new one for it.

Don't get me started on the relatively sound investment of vintage basses vs vintage cars and motorcycles!