Author Topic: Toys of yesteryear  (Read 728 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Toys of yesteryear
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
I spotted this sales report in Automobile magazine:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/keno-brothers-and-rm-sothebys-2015-auctions-in-new-york/

The car most people will note is Joplin's Porsche 356 - which I saw in the R&R Hall of Fame; very cool!

But what caught my eye was the 1957 Fiat 1100 TV roadster.  My high school graduation present in 1968 was a 1958 1200 TV roadster, identical to this other than slight upgrades to engine, transmission and dash. Mine even had the fake knock-off wire wheel covers. I had mine until about 8 years ago; it had been on jackstands with me slowly restoring it for 20+ years, but I really wasn't getting it done.  I sold it to a gent in an Alfa Romeo club in Denver, who then passed it to a Fiat enthusiast in CA.  I understand it's in concours condition now.

To me, THIS is what a '50's era roadster looked like!

And a factory promo photo from the 50's...

OH...and take a look farther down the page; Roy Rogers' 1963 Pontiac Bonneville, custom by Nudie, sold at auction as well.  Nice piece of period Americana. I saw this car at the Roy Rogers museum in Victorville, CA before it moved to Branson and closed a few years later...unfortunately enough time passed that Roy Rogers was no longer a name that drew crowds.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:06:07 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Toys of yesteryear
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »
Love those pics, thanks. Especially the Lancia. A coworker back in the late 70s-early 80s had a couple of Lancias. Although they didn't have the power of the big boys, they sure handled great.

I had seen a photo of Janis Joplin's Porsche in Rolling Stone back in the day but that was when RS was a black and white tabloid.

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Toys of yesteryear
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
joplin's porche sold at auction back in december for a cool 1.76 million.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead