Author Topic: EB-6 project  (Read 4582 times)

amptech

• View Profile
EB-6 project
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
Oh, I just started a new project - EB-6.
Not buying, of course - too expensive and too hard to find.

Anybody here with some EB-6 (SG shape) experience?
I´ve read old threads, remember Uwe had one hanging around?

I´m basically building one for stage use - not collecting - just won an auction, a very worn EB-0 without parts (naked).

I guess I have the usual EB-6 questions;

- Are the pickups regular guitar PUP´s? Didn´t gibson call them ´full range pickups`?

- Just how big is the headstock?

- Is the bridge positioning / scale the same as on EB-3?

- I´ve heard the body is slightly thicker - wide, depth, thicker what?

Grateful for any comments, except the ´ are you really gonna use it ´ ones :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: EB-6 project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Uwe still has his a-hanging a-round

- plus the predecessor hollowbody model! (To be honest: I don't play them often, it takes at least an evening/rehearsal to fully adjust to them. And I can never decide whether I should tune them E/A/D/G/H/E guitar style or E/A/D/G/C/F!)

Headstock is 7 1/2" inches, outer edge to nut (i.e. without the Gibson moustache  mound counted in), as opposed to 6 3/16" on a regular EB of the era.

The pups are guitar PAFs.

Body has the same thickness and look as EB-0s and -3s of the era.

Scale is the same too, bridge positioning as well, number of frets dito, bridge is different though (pic stolen from Jules' Fly Guitar site).

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:51:04 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
Oh, thanks - great info and quick reply..
To be honest, this will probably be a huge project, as it will be quite modified.
I do like the vibrato six string fender - thing, but cannot attach myself to fender like I do with gibsons.
It might sound strange, but most of my heroes are guitarists. This project is inspired by the
Allan Holdsworth era of soft machine. Allan played SG´s a lot back then, and he owned two or three
white SG customs, early ones with vibrato. So this EB-6 will turn out polaris white with ebony, block inlay fretboard
and gold hardware - aaaand , Bigsby vibrato. I hope. The fact that soft machine´s bass player uses a white fender six
makes me feel somewhat comfy with this project, crazy or not.

Is that a six string flatwound set i see on that bridge? I´m looking forward to meeting people whom which I can talk
to about short scale six string basses.... Imagine they are nice people...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »
I've played both, and had the opportunity to buy several. After owning a Fender Bass VI, I couldn't bring myself to pay over $1k, but less than $2k, for one, which is what they all seemed to be going for. I preferred the ES to the SG body as it hung on me better.  They all came with flats - no roundwound 6 strings until years later.  So, building one out of a junked EB-0 sounds like fun.  I have thought of it myself in the past, since so many have cracked headstocks. Might as well make it longer.

The old bridge isn't really different than the 4 string either - just notched differently.  Same size. Nice and crowded.

POST PICS!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 04:53:32 AM »
I'll post pics as soon as it arrives, takes some time to ship from nashville to good 'ol Norway, where I live.
This EB-0 looked very worn, finish looked like an air gun target - but no headstock crack.
I'll reinforce it with ebony, or maybe enlarge the whole headstock if i can't cram 6 hipshot ultralites into it.
But that's for my luthier to work out.. but the white finish will cover it up.

By the way, does anybody know the RAL code for the sixties polaris white?
Is it a universal colour name, or gibson only?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
I've got plans for a similar project in the future and a good bridge for a 6 stringer would be the Schaller roller bridge for 6 string guitar.  The saddles adjust laterally to allow for differing sting spacings.  Really nice bridge, I've used one on 3 or 4 projects and love them. 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »
Great, the schaller was allready on my list - nice to hear what other mean about parts.
And, I'm somewhat surprised not being able to see many of these EB-0/6 projects elsewhere
on the net. These instruments are so stangely modified, at least they were before, so why not a 6 :)

If it is not already a 'show me your modified EB-0 - thread' it's about time.
I must admit this is the best forum for bass I've seen- although I'm not using the internet too much.
I've met a lot of negativity elsewhere, even on questions that you would think appealed to dedicated
people with instrument interest. So keep up the good work, and thanks for a great meeting place for gibby-nerds!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:59:17 AM »
If you work with semblances of the original bridge on your project, remember you will need a 6 string bass set with guitar size small ballends! Bass size ballends will be too big, not allow the bridge to be lowered enough and gnaw into the surface of the bass.

I've been there.  :-\

"And, I'm somewhat surprised not being able to see many of these EB-0/6 projects elsewhere."

Be aware that the sound difference between the H/E or C/F strings and E/A/D/G will be radical. The low ones will sound like a bass and the high ones like a guitar and no amount of EQing will change that. Not to dishearten you, just so you know what you will be getting. Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:17:38 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »
If you work with semblances of the original bridge on your project, remember you will need a 6 string bass set with guitar size small ballends! Bass size ballends will be too big, not allow the bridge to be lowered enough and gnaw into the surface of the bass.

What do you use, then? What about the various string sets still made for the Fender Bass VI or the special sets being made by LaBella for the Schecter Hellcat VI?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
I spent quite some time looking, dear Dave! Fender 6 strings have thick ball ends (no one told me!) and they also have the manliest gauge: 025, 035, 045, 055, 075 and 095 (the gauges aren't an issue, the ballends are!). Unusable on the original EB-6 bar bridges, but if you used a Schaller six string roller bridge you might do fine even though I would imagine the thicker ballends sticking out from the guitar ballend size cavities. But beauty is only fin-deep as they say.

Small ballenders:

I have a couple of D'Addario XL155 Jerry Jones guitar/bass with small ballends string sets which I haven't used on any of my two EB-6s yet: 024, 034, 044, 056, 072 and 084.

And you can order from GHS a slightly thicker custom set for Fender VI with small ballends: DY26, DY36, DY46, DY56, DY74 and DY90. I have those with good results on both my EB-6s.

Then there is an Ernie Ball 6 String Baritone Slinky set: 13, 18, 30, 44, 56 and 72. I haven't used that yet, it's probably too thin for bass tuning, though you could always tune an EB-6 as a baritone (better for chording too), but if you used the 18 as your E/F and worked yourself down from there plus obtained an 82-85 small ballend string from EB as an extra for the low E, then it might just work.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:34:31 PM by uwe »

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 03:38:29 PM »
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
I spent quite some time looking, dear Dave! Fender 6 strings have thick ball ends (no one told me!) and they also have the manliest gauge: 025, 035, 045, 055, 075 and 095 (the gauges aren't an issue, the ballends are!). Unusable on the original EB-6 bar bridges, but if you used a Schaller six string roller bridge you might do fine even though I would imagine the thicker ballends sticking out from the guitar ballend size cavities. But beauty is only fin-deep as they say.

Small ballenders:

I have a couple of D'Addario XL155 Jerry Jones guitar/bass with small ballends string sets which I haven't used on any of my two EB-6s yet: 024, 034, 044, 056, 072 and 084.

And you can order from GHS a slightly thicker custom set for Fender VI with small ballends: DY26, DY36, DY46, DY56, DY74 and DY90. I have those with good results on both my EB-6s.

Then there is an Ernie Ball 6 String Baritone Slinky set: 13, 18, 30, 44, 56 and 72. I haven't used that yet, it's probably too thin for bass tuning, though you could always tune an EB-6 as a baritone (better for chording too), but if you used the 18 as your E/F and worked yourself down from there plus obtained an 82-85 small ballend string from EB as an extra for the low E, then it might just work.

But there's also the LaBella sets for the Schecter Hellcat, pointed out by new member kenstee who runs a Hellcat group on Facebook. Flats, nickel and stainless wound 026-095 - and they're inexpensive. http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=hellcat+VI+strings&x=8&y=10

I don't know the ball sizes or why they are special for the Hellcat (he did say they won't fit the Pawnshop Fender VI). In any case, LaBella will make just about anything special order, you just have to wait for it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
The DA and LaBella Bass VI sets all have the smaller guitar type ball ends.  Don't know about other brands.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 06:17:03 AM »
But there's also the LaBella sets for the Schecter Hellcat, pointed out by new member kenstee who runs a Hellcat group on Facebook. Flats, nickel and stainless wound 026-095 - and they're inexpensive. http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=hellcat+VI+strings&x=8&y=10

I don't know the ball sizes or why they are special for the Hellcat (he did say they won't fit the Pawnshop Fender VI). In any case, LaBella will make just about anything special order, you just have to wait for it.

The La Bella's for the Hellcat have small ball ends but are too short for a Fender VI I think due to the long Tremolo/tailpiece system. Same with the Eastwood Sidejack. They're also too short for VIs that string through the body. They didn't  fit the Burns Barracuda I owned. i haven't tried them on my Lakland, which is string through and came with GHS CS Fender VI rounds, but imagine similar short comings. I have an unused set if anyone needs some.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:39:46 AM by saltymonkey »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
The La Bella's for the Hellcat have small ball ends but are too short for a Fender VI I think due to the long Tremolo/tailpiece system. Same with the Eastwood Sidejack. They're also too short for VIs that string through the body. They didn't  fit the Burns Barracuda I owned. i haven't tried them on my Lakland, which is string through and came with GHS CS Fender VI rounds, but imagine similar short comings. I have an unused set if anyone needs some.

Sounds like they might be perfect for a Gibson type with a short distance from the bridge bar to the anchor point.