Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Glenn Cornick bass timeline pre-JT through Wild Turkey and Paris - updated

<< < (4/11) > >>

Basvarken:
Triumph neck maybe?

Denis:
That does look a lot more like it! The GC photos shows it with a heavy binding. Were Triumphs offered with a binding like that?

Thanks, guys, these are the kind of comments and improvements I was looking for!

Basvarken:
No, Triumphs have a white-black laminated binding, with the black on the outside.

I think it makes more sense that a luthier just made this weird bass entirely from scratch.

Denis:
I was just going to say that, since the binding issue alone leads me away from it being a Triumph neck like those you've posted.
You're right about it being a weird bass though. I'll ask Drew if he knows anything about it.

gearHed289:

--- Quote from: Denis on January 10, 2018, 07:38:39 PM ---Gibson only built 718 Thunderbird IIs between 1963 and the 1965 discontinuation date due to a lawsuit by Fender, which insanely claimed the Thunderbird looked too much like their Precision bass (one of the great WTF moments in guitar history).
--- End quote ---

I've heard this may be at least partially urban legend. Maybe a cease and desist? Also, I believe it was to do with the offset Jazz Bass body. Funny thing is, the later non-rev is more Fender-ish than the original!

That reverse V is odd. Only 19 frets?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version