Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 1468 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Meshuggah
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
I cant figure out why I like them so much, but it must be he odd time signatures and syncopated structures. All the detuned low notes, very bass driven.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
I'm not saying this is not music, because I myself couldn't play it properly and if you don't play that stuff accurately it sounds like a mess real quickly, but:

- I have a hard time hearing notes, much less harmonies at such low tuning, Sabbath was ok doing that - their guitarist was handicapped after all -, but other than them I find downtuned sounds unnatural to the human ear.

- I can't understand the lyrics and find that "barking on top of the music" one-dimensional and unmelodic.

- I fail to detect a beat that is even remotely danceable or swinging. Songs faster than "Highway Star" should be forbidden.

I'm an old man I guess. I dont mind a bit of screaming and blitz rhythms with my music, but it shouldn't be more than this, where I find Devin Townshend screaming in the bridge a nice counterpoint to the melodic verse and chorus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CFjECq13g&feature=related

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:10:16 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »
Well, it's bass-driven  for sure. Can't wait until 40-50 years from now when these guys and their fans are sitting in the rec room of the nursing home trying to do a "group sing" of some of their favorite oldies!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
That's exactly why I like it. It's kind of a anti ambient droning that defies being music, but is well done. They are tight and obviously they are talented. i can't tell what is bass or guitar and yes the scemo vocals take some getting used to. But heh I like captain Beefheart as well which is another odd time signature syncopated oddity. Melt Banana is another odd duck I like.

What I think I like about it is it takes the idea of metal and purifies it into low register pounding without cliche verses, choruses or rap interludes. Metal in its purist form?

The first time I heard them all I heard was noise, the next it started to grow on me, like a tumor!

I remember when SOAD came out, people had the same reaction to them.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
eh,that's not so great.if you wanna hear killer metal check out "slaughter of the soul" by AT THE GATES.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:20:30 AM »
Meshuggah is a musically very talented band though their potential is'nt always heard as mentioned. We opened for them once in '94. I remember Thomas Haake soundchecking the bassdrums for 45 minutes. That was tireing especially since it was pointless. When they played there was just the sound of overcooked porridge hitting you. Here's something for you John since I know you like different rhythm patterns. Fredrik Thordendal and drummer Morgan Ågren (Frank Zappa invited him and friend Mats Öberg to play when they were very young). They are from the same neck of the woods in northern Sweden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmFS_9fGRY&feature=related

I think you'll like this also John. Mats & Morgan Band. Both these clips are from an educational program on Swedish Television called Drum School. Mats has been blind since birth and the two met when they were about 10 years old. Both had Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart as main idols as early on as that.

Here with Artis the Spoonman (known from Soundgardens video of the song Spoonman):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqwn0TeHcH0&feature=related

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:57:32 AM »
I love the Matts & Morgan Band. Really amazing musicians.