Author Topic: Bought this beauty today.......  (Read 6525 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Bought this beauty today.......
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 07:33:12 AM »
Brown truck brings it to me Monday! I'm thinking a pickup cover (and a thumbrest of course) should complete the look.

When I bought my butterscotch, I was contemplating a pickup cover , individual saddle bridge, thumbrest and a more agressive oickup (like a Seymour Duncan).
I ended up not doing a damn thing......with no regrets :).  I decided I like the pickup and the bridge . I use the pickup or the neck / body joint as a thumbrest, depending on the sound I want, so that pretty much negated the pickup cover and the thumbrest. Still looks just like the day I bought it :).
Whatever you decide......ENJOY.

Rick

rockinrayduke

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »
Rick, you could be right, I might not do anything once I get it into my sweaty hands.  :mrgreen:

rockinrayduke

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »
It's here, it's gorgeous, it's got some flats with blue silk. Actual plugging in later this afternoon.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
If it's a medium blue silk, probably D'addario Chromes, possibly Ernie Ball flats.

If it's a dark blue, probably LaBella 760FM.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 05:14:35 AM »
I've got D'addario Chrome long scales on mine with blue silk. They are actually too short and the E string is riding on the tapered portion at the nut. It's been that way for a couple of years, and much to my suprise , it works just fine. I'd have to check, but over the last couple years the string may have stretched to the point where it is riding properly on the nut. In any event , it hasn't been a problem.

The moral of this story is , be careful to check the length of strings before you buy a set. String thru designs call for a little longer string than most long scale sets provide. Also , some string manufacturers (like La'Bella) caution you NOT to use their strings on a string thru bridge/body design.
It's a shame because La'Bella and D'addario are two of my favorites. At least with D'addario you can order Extra longs , so I've heard.

I'm always curious to hear what kind of strings people are using on their Fender string thrus.

Rick

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »
I've got D'addario Chrome long scales on mine with blue silk. They are actually too short and the E string is riding on the tapered portion at the nut. It's been that way for a couple of years, and much to my suprise , it works just fine. I'd have to check, but over the last couple years the string may have stretched to the point where it is riding properly on the nut. In any event , it hasn't been a problem.

The moral of this story is , be careful to check the length of strings before you buy a set. String thru designs call for a little longer string than most long scale sets provide. Also , some string manufacturers (like La'Bella) caution you NOT to use their strings on a string thru bridge/body design.
It's a shame because La'Bella and D'addario are two of my favorites. At least with D'addario you can order Extra longs , so I've heard.

I'm always curious to hear what kind of strings people are using on their Fender string thrus.

Rick

I think some manufacturers caution against using their strings on string through basses because of the hole-saddle angle, especially on a Fender the E string can almost be at a 90 degree angle where it goes over the bridge when intonated properly and their strings are too stiff too bend like that. Lighter guage strings work better on string through basses.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »
OK, changed out the bridge to an American Deluxe which is a drop in. Put a black thumbrest on. Then while restringing broke the nut on the G side. Soooo, trip to the Dr this week. Shit. :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:18 AM »
Is the American Deluxe a string thru? If so , What kind of strings are you using?
I'm suprised that I've been so satisfied with the stock double saddle bridge. That was something I thought I would have issues with.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
The Am Deluxe bridge gives you the option of both topload or string thru. IIRC it's a replacement for both the original two-saddle and the string thru-only American Standard bridge of the 1995-2000 era, no drilling necessary.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
The bridge is a drop in string through like Dave said. After I get the nut fixed JF344's are going on.