Author Topic: One of the coolest T-birds ever...  (Read 8169 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: One of the coolest T-birds ever...
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »
Is white chocolate a German invention?

No, why are you asking?  :-X We prefer black or brown chocolate like the uniforms of our fathers (who had very little chocolate thanks to the Royal Navy's efficient embargo!). White is generally identified with those flags of surrender hanging out of Dutch windows in 1940, if I'm not mistaken ... :mrgreen:

Aryan or not, I hate white chocolate too, didn't even like it as a kid. Whenever I got a mix of brown and white chocolate - chocolate is one of the few things in life where Apartheid makes sense - in one bar, I'd nibble only the brown away. (I fear I just started another one of those unwholesome side topics with my last innocent remark?  :rolleyes:)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »

As I posted inTalkbass.............
The Bird really did belong to Overend at one point, it then was left in the care of someone (not a musician) that simply stored it. If memory serves it's now owned by an Englishman that does indeed know of it's significance. That said it's hard for me to see this bass looking like it does, a white early 60's Thunderbird II is my own personal Holy Grail...............

"I'd nibble only the brown away."

I didn't realize this was something you enjoyed Herr Moderator  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 10:03:47 AM »
- in one bar, I'd nibble only the brown away. (I fear I just started another one of those unwholesome side topics with my last innocent remark?  :rolleyes:)

I have got to stop reading your posts while swallowing coffee.

Back to the bass, I have no idea of its ownership history or who abused it. I do know enough about finishing to know that only extreme conditions could have produced that.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
Hahahaha!

Regarding the bass, I would be honored to have it in my house, in a place of honor. Looks to me like only the paint has gone south: the body and everything else looks okay.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
I have had some exchanges with the owner of that bass, it does seem to be legit. That bird was not originally white. That is some heavy finish on there. back in the day refins sometimes were not very refined, even for pros. Lennon's black Ric painted with a brush comes to mind. I think the bass should be left as is. It is a piece of rock and roll history, I'd give both nuts for it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:57:48 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
Gibson offered high quality factory refins for years, and good guitar refinishers were around well before the age of soldbody electrics. There has never been an excuse for crappy refins, ever.

I don't think this bass got that way from just sitting in storage unless the storage room was underwater.

I wonder how many of you who like it would actually be interested if it had never allegedly been owned by a celebrity bassist. With a big emphasis on alleged. Can the owner actually provide any real evidence of its history?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »

Like I said: White 60's Thunderbird II................My Holy Grail!

I do value my nuts tho, so unlike Scott I'll keep mine  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
I wonder how many of you who like it would actually be interested if it had never allegedly been owned by a celebrity bassist. With a big emphasis on alleged. Can the owner actually provide any real evidence of its history?

Well, Dave it IS a real Thunderbird, and setting aside the "pedigree" and accompanying price premium... I think it's cool as hell!
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
I'd certainly like to own her, regardless of pedigree... even give her a proper (non "tequila") refin... or be very tempted to leave her "au-naturale" once stripped down...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
I'm with Dave, Refin and play the bastard. It is what it is, not what someone else made it... if that makes any sense at all.

Either that or if you cant bear to make the changes , then hang it on a wall (a crime for a bass like that in my book).
Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »
I found this picture on Talkbass.

Overend Watts' (Mott The Hoople's bassist with the coolest stage name) old Tbird from the 60s-70s videos....and that's NOT a Gibson Custom Shop "relic" job

That bass looks like a jigsaw puzzle, he could make it like new for free, if he had all the missing pieces and some glue.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 03:30:11 AM »
I'm listening to a lot of Mott the Hoople currently in my car (bought the new boxed set with mini replica LP sleeve editions of All the Young Dudes, Mott, The Hoople, Drive On and Shouting and Pointing), so my judgement is currently tainted, but I can understand the attraction that bass has. I'm not really into celebrity basses and I don't think they "anoint" the instrument (though it has to be said that Overend Watts was the first bass player who made TBirds, and white ones at that, an integral part of his stage appearance, in the early seventies TBirds in England were few and far between, Glenn Cornick's Wild Turkey wasn't as popular as Mott the Hoople and John Entwistle didn't focus as singlemindedly on TBirds as Overend did), but this thing looks like it has a good story to tell. And other than the extremely flaked off fin, it seems sound and is therefore even playable.

Here's another pic of it:

Let's face it: One day all our nitro finned instruments will look like that unless we keep them in a perfect humidity climate. Nitro wasn't invented to last for centuries. I notice how my former burgundy red EB-2, which had turned to gold when I bought it, is now turning browner every year and the fin is becoming less and less impact resistant too. And, yes, I do even wish that all forum members here be still there to witness when the nitro comes off their beloved instruments in several decades!

Uwe

PS: Maybe if you buy the bass, you get the boots as a freebie? Or did Michael Schenker or Arthur "Killer" Kane nick them off Herr Watts?

PPS: Will Overend Watts play a TBird at the coming MTH reunion shows and if so what shoes to go with it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:24:27 AM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »
MTH live is in my steady rotation in my van. I love the discs raw energy I don't think there are a whole lot of overdubs on this disc. There is at least one bum note from Overend, the vocals and back ups are not spot on but I love the honesty of it all. To me it is real R&R not this glitzy pap we are served up today. I still vote leave that bass alone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys are refin happy  ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »

Half a show with me playing it would have whats left of that paint falling off like skin on a leper.........

;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
Leperbird, that's it.