Author Topic: so i quit one of my bands yesterday.................  (Read 1294 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
so i quit one of my bands yesterday.................
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »
ok i joined this band as a guitar player last Aug. they were a 3 piece before i joined with only one show under their belt.(the band not the players,all have had prior bands) i played my first show with them only 2 weeks after i joined.we did a bunch of shows and were saving the "band funds" for recording.then two members spent the band fund on t-shirts.i didn't find out till they were already ordered.(1st red flag).i was not happy about this 'cause whats the point of having shirts if your not on tour,and don't have a recording.i let this slide. then one day i show up for practice and they tell me paul is coming (a friend in another band) i'm like why? they say to play "lead guitar" i was not informed prior to this. (2nd red flag) but since i know and like the guy i let this slide too. i really think we sounded better before.he comes from a more heavy metal background and i kinda liked our scrappy punk sound. so we book time to record,but the dude who was gonna record us cancelled for personal reasons (i took the day off work,and really couldn't afford to lose a days pay) they wanted to do it the following week i said i can't do that day,because of work lets do another day.they went in and did drums,bass and some guitar tracks. this really pissed me off cause i am very hands on and want to be there for everything.but i waited till i heard it.once i heard it i find they didn't do drums and bass for the song i wrote.when i brought this up they told me they ran out of time and we would do it next session. so my other band (where i play bass) got offered a show last friday and i got this band on the bill as well.the previous mon they cancelled cause our bass players mom fell down the stairs and is messed up and needs surgery.obviously this is more important than a show.so of course i said go take care of your mom.so i play the show with my other band. on saturday i find out they went and recorded everything else except my parts.so f*** this i quit.this is not the way bands are supposed to do things.now they say they don't want me to quit? i said the only way i would stay is if they delete everything and start over.so whatever i have 2 other bands now and have played in many bands and i've never had to deal with shit like this.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: so i quit one of my bands yesterday.................
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »
Damn~ Fokk those guys!!! That's completely Out Of Order.
I'd be tempted to do something in retaliation.  >:(
Put more energy into your other 2 bands!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:03:21 AM »
They're not upfront and have issues bringing things up. You were right to quit.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »
I think you did the right thing. If band members can't be open with each other about what they're doing, then it's time to cut your losses.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
Bummer... what was that Meatloaf song... 2 out of 3 ain't bad... and I live by the "everything you do comes back to you" rule... they'll get theres in their own time, just concentrate on the good stuff...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
Get out while the gettin's good.  ;D  They had problems and you made the smart decision - I'd, personally, take the high road, wish them best of luck and move on to bigger and better things.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 02:54:43 AM »
If they dont get that manipulating another member of the band leads to disharmony, you are better out of the situation. Play with guys that understand a bit of respect. It always makes life (and playing) more enjoyable.

Doesn't sound like you are having a hard time finding other ppl to play with so yeah, move on.
Digresion our specialty!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:50:14 AM »
i do wish i had some kinda recording to document the last year but screw it.my friend Tim (a drummer) who's first band used to play shows with my first band about 18 years ago is without a band so we may try to do something. it's always cool to play with old friends.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES