Author Topic: And what is you guys' opinion on John Deacon as a bass player?  (Read 12644 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: And what is you guys' opinion on John Deacon as a bass player?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
Thanks, I didn't know that the Sugar Hill Gang had sampled a Bernard Edwards riff, you learn something new everyday!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »
Yep, I know the Sugarhill Gang line. It begins the same, but it goes on and up at the end. Nice.

Okay, the Paul Rodgers story, for the guys who haven't heard it yet.

I was asked by Dutch musicians magazine Musicmaker to interview someone of The Free because of the release of a DVD some years ago. I asked for Andy Fraser of course. Andy would call me that wednesday at eight thirty and indeed: At that time sharp the phone went off and I interviewed Andy for half an hour. Nice guy.

That friday I started drinking red wine quite early in the evening and at home that makes me sleepy. My girlfriend and I both had a busy week, so we decided to go to bed early. That was around 22:00. At 23:00 I woke up because the phone was ringing. I was too late to get it, so I went to bed and fell asleep again. An hour later the phone rang again and again I was too late to get it. My girfriend went to the toilet, the phone went again but she was too late too, so she brought the phone into our bedroom. There was no number identification and I just hoped nothing bad happened with family or friends. Somewhere around 1 O'Clock I was asleep again and the phone woke me up for the third time. I was a bit angry at that moment, so I took it up a bit sleepy and a bit angry. The following happened:

- Met Chris ('This is Chris speaking')
- Hello Chris, this is Paul Rodgers of the Free. I was asked to call you for an interview.
- Well, you woke me up for the third time, I know nothing about you calling me and I already spoke to Andy Fraser, so I know everything I wanted to know.
- Okay, well, goodbye then.
- Bye.

And I ended the conversation. At that moment I realised I had been very rude to an icon in rock, which some people would die for to speak to him. I just missed the opportunity to talk with Paul Rodgers! My girlfriend heard it all and we both couldn't stop laughing!

Well. In the end I only had an appointment with Andy, so Paul calling me was some kinda mistake. I apologized to the management later and they could laugh about it too. I hope Paul did so too.

And I was man enough to mention what happened in the The Free article I wrote.

What a mistake...

Don't bank on being the replacement bass player in that imminent Bad Co reunion then!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
boom - boom - boom - another-one bites the dust...

Chris... tsk, tsk, tsk...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
I thought he was very good, but his sound was indistinct and didn't have enough bottom, his playing was actually too pristine and perfect for me, I prefer Wyman (who someone mentioned) because he had a big fat sound and put a lot of feeling into what he played, Deacon deemed to know his place and stayed there pretty much. He played Musicmans during the late 70's. I saw them around the time Bohemian Rhapsody was big and Deacon played his parts very well and tidy and as unexciting as on the records. To be fair I think it would have been very difficult for him because of the mix of players to be more adventurous and would have been a different band if he had.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »
Versatile, melodic, creative and understands the basslines affect on the musicality of a song very well. I'm a fan.
Digresion our specialty!

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »
Always one of my favorite players, another that deserves a signature bass but probably won't ever get one.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »

I like it! And I always liked Liar!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies