Author Topic: 4005 facsimile-final shots  (Read 61556 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: 4005 facsimile
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
I like the colors above - for some reason the Fender neck amber keeps catching my eye.  How about shooting a test with a black > cherry > amber burst?

This bass is painted with the Stew-Mac Cherry tint added to clear lacquer, over a silver metallic base. (All acrylic lacquer.)   The first coat of cheery scared me - it was PINK!  But once I had three or four coats of cherry on it, the color deepened nicely.

The black burst is black tint added to clear lacquer.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37:41 AM »
fwiw, I like sample 2 as well but I'm biased towards natural finishes.

pilgrim, I really like that bass!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2009, 05:00:35 AM »
I like the naturals as well.  I've never been a fan of the red/black burst, but that one is exceptional Al.  I think I'll probably do the amber all over (the darker golden one, the neck amber is just a little too yellow for me) and then think about bursting it or not after I see the amber effect.

BTW, S&S was laid down yesterday, so my colors go on next, but I've got work for the next couple evening, so I won't get to it for a few days.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
pilgrim, I really like that bass!

Thanks, and also thanks for your comment, Bill.  That bass was a test platform - bought cheap, defretted (the lines are styrene plastic), and with DiMarzio pickups added, and a nice Guild bridge I found on Ebay.  The two controls are set up stack-knob style with the outer ring for tone and the center knob for volume.  

It taught me one advantage of black burst on the edges...if you sand JUST a little too deeply, a black magic marker can cover a certain amount of..........color variation.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 16, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
Another amateurs question... S&S...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 16, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »
Sand & Sealer - a very high solids leveler and filler.  Either brush or spray - dries very fast and sands easily.  This will fill minor imperfections and leave you with a very smooth base for the balance of the finish process.

You might like this board:  http://www.reranch.com/reranch/   It's a great place for finishing info.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2009, 04:36:17 AM »
Thanks, and also thanks for your comment, Bill.  That bass was a test platform - bought cheap, defretted (the lines are styrene plastic), and with DiMarzio pickups added, and a nice Guild bridge I found on Ebay.  The two controls are set up stack-knob style with the outer ring for tone and the center knob for volume.  

It taught me one advantage of black burst on the edges...if you sand JUST a little too deeply, a black magic marker can cover a certain amount of..........color variation.

No problem Al.  I do think that bass looks great.  Nice job.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2009, 04:37:46 AM »
Sand & Sealer - a very high solids leveler and filler.  Either brush or spray - dries very fast and sands easily.  This will fill minor imperfections and leave you with a very smooth base for the balance of the finish process.

You might like this board:  http://www.reranch.com/reranch/   It's a great place for finishing info.

Thanks for jumping in here!  I've been out late the past few nights!  Good suggestions, the Reranch forum has tons of stuff for refinishing and it's my other hang out.  Didn't even think of it the other night!!!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
Buzz and Doc... thanks for that... already chased that link too and have saved, but not had time to do the trawling through... off work Friday to start on the shed, and then the refin...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2009, 04:16:13 AM »
Sounds good!  Happy building!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
Doc... has she stalled...?

Don't tell me you have Stewart's Syndrome ("why do one thing at a time when you can have at least 3 or 4 dozen projects, minimum, on the go at the same time...")  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
Actually, I put 3 coats of sand and sealer on it, sprayed an amber tint and it looked like crap!  so, on Sunday, I stripped it back to bare wood!!!!  :P  I'm out of town right now at a conference, so this weekend, the top will get a red mahogany stain and the rest will be done with Tru Oil hand rubbed finish.   I'll post my progress this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:10:00 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2009, 06:12:22 AM »
Update:  I stained the top and put my first coat of TruOil on it and it looks great.  I'll post some pics tonight.  I'm going to rub the finish with steel wool and put another coat on tonight.  I'll probably do 5-6 coats before I'm finished.  Then the hardware!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:05 AM »
pics pics pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2009, 05:16:00 AM »
pics pics pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe today!  My wife had me cleaning out our shed last night and totally kept me out of the shop!  I think she did it on purpose!   ;)  I hate summer, some days!!!   8)