Author Topic: 4005 facsimile-final shots  (Read 61673 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 4005 facsimile
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »
I can't separate it. Let's give the thread back to Doc, no reason you can't start a new thread up top.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2009, 05:08:33 AM »
OK Dave, I'll step back in, here's an update:  grain filling is finished.  I'm still testing some colors, will post some samples later this week.

No problem with digressing a little.  It's interesting to hear about everyone's experiences.  I'll always come back to the topic at hand.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »
Here's a simple question re finishes and top coverings... the dubious/wonderful colour scheme on my Peter Cook was home done using car colours and lacquer to finish... that has lasted 25 years so far... I believe the present body deterioration and cracking is from below the present paintwork, which is why I'll be going back to the wood... I will not be able to afford pro finishing, so any advice and recommended products for the amateur...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2009, 04:34:50 AM »
Here's a simple question re finishes and top coverings... the dubious/wonderful colour scheme on my Peter Cook was home done using car colours and lacquer to finish... that has lasted 25 years so far... I believe the present body deterioration and cracking is from below the present paintwork, which is why I'll be going back to the wood... I will not be able to afford pro finishing, so any advice and recommended products for the amateur...?

Hey Kenny, there are a lot of ways to finish a bass.  I've used auto paint, hand rubbed oils and nitro thus far.  All work great depending on the look and feel you're going for.  For solid colors, the auto colors offer a lot of choices and are cheap as well as easily obtained.

After you strip it, you'll start to see what might work.  If the wood requires repair, often a solid color is best to hide the flaws.  If not, you have many more choices.  Do I remember you saying you're in Great Britain?  That will determine what's available to you as well.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »
GB, near London, Doc...

I've heard mention of "nitro" but never heard of it before joining here... is this a "finish" or a "product"...?

The lower body "fin" has some "damage" (guilty as charged, m'Lord) problems which I may need to resolve by an "insert" (rout and cut to fit for mounting the pots/switch) or a new section of wood to make the whole front "level" with the through neck (which is a 3 piece)...

Just had the new shed delivered yesterday so lots to do and then I can work... the joys of concrete plinths...  :sad:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »
Nitro = nitrocellulose lacquer

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »
GB, near London, Doc...

I've heard mention of "nitro" but never heard of it before joining here... is this a "finish" or a "product"...?

The lower body "fin" has some "damage" (guilty as charged, m'Lord) problems which I may need to resolve by an "insert" (rout and cut to fit for mounting the pots/switch) or a new section of wood to make the whole front "level" with the through neck (which is a 3 piece)...

Just had the new shed delivered yesterday so lots to do and then I can work... the joys of concrete plinths...  :sad:

plinth??/pl?n?/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [plinth]  Show IPA
–noun Architecture. 1. a slablike member beneath the base of a column or pier. 
2. a square base or a lower block, as of a pedestal.
3. Also called plinth course. a projecting course of stones at the base of a wall; earth table.
4. (in joinery) a flat member at the bottom of an architrave, dado, baseboard, or the like.

So what is a "plinth" in American "english" - your foundation ? 

It just amazes me at what you English have done to the language ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
Okay, let's get back to Bill's project. At least I've now figured out splitting off parts of large threads, but let's just start other threads as necessary.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2009, 04:50:15 AM »
No problem.  If Kenny would start a finishing thread, I'd be happy to jump into that with him.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2009, 01:32:26 PM »
No worries there... I'll post that when the time comes - the "big strip" will be first...  :o

Gonna be a bit experimental with both the Peter Cook and the RDA... but in a good way, honest...!

Foundation it is, Buzz... my wife has just reminded me that I should be pricing it up... oops...

Ta for the Nitro, dave...

So Doc, hows it hangin'...? I believe you were doing some test finish samples...?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »
You are a mind reader Kenny!  I'm reading this as I garb my camera to take some pics outside in natural light.  Will be back later this morning.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2009, 05:37:53 AM »
OK, here are some samples.  Here are the conditions:

1.  I didn't have time to spray S&S first, so the samples are on raw wood, but you get the idea.
2.  Wood samples are, from left to right:  maple, spruce, mahogany
3.  Tint samples are:  1 - Stew-Mac cherry tint;  2 - RR Amber from sunburst kit;  3 - RR Fender neck amber

I think the back and neck are going to be solid cherry, but haven't decided on the top yet!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »
The front of her is quite dark, so cherry will make her darker... but then again, my T'bird used to be cherry and I believe she is mahogany and she looked pretty good before I got loose...

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 14, 2009, 08:18:42 AM »
Me likes the neck Amber from
RR. Maybe a burst with the red,but that may be tricky. i think it would be difficult to make suttle.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
I like the second set.