Author Topic: Warning: Cell Phones May Be Hazardous To Your Health  (Read 4429 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Warning: Cell Phones May Be Hazardous To Your Health
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
"Jacking In..." - Neuromancer - Bill Gibson

Perzactly.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
Dave Dub has the same attitude as the cellphone industry guys who say that there's nothing to worry about--ridiculing the dangerous facts & anyone who presents them.
This sort of bullying is popular in America. We want our goodies with no worries.
Unfortunately, in the USA we accept what the industry tells us, just as we accepted the tobacco industry & asbestos industry & their claims that we needn't worry.
In other countries research is done independently & therefore people in other countries understand the dangers of cellphones & towers & Wi-fi, so they protest what the greedy companies are trying to do-which is POLLUTE THE WHOLE WORLD!

Terr, you haven't actually read any of these studies. The fact is, the real peer-reviewed studies published in scientific journals do not support these claims at all. Nobody's bullying anybody. These alarmist articles can't quote any legitimate studies to support what they're claiming. They just keep recycling the same old unproven and disproven claims hoping to sucker people in.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »
"Jacking In..." - Neuromancer - Bill Gibson

Great book as was Mona Lisa Overdrive.

And as there is always two sides to every conspiracy.

The electromagnetic waves emitted by mobile phones could protect against and even reverse Alzheimer's disease, according to a US study.

Researchers at the University of South Florida exposed 96 mice, most of whom had been genetically altered to develop the Alzheimer's disease as they aged, to electromagnetic waves generated by mobile phones.

The mice were zapped with 918-megaherz of frequency twice a day for an hour each time over nine months - the equivalent of several decades in humans.

In older mice with Alzheimer's, long-term exposure to the electromagnetic fields caused the erasure of deposits of beta-amyloid - a protein fragment that accumulates in the brain of Alzheimer's sufferers to form the disease's signature plaques.

Memory impairment in the older mice disappeared, too, the study showed.

It also found that young adult mice with no apparent signs of memory impairment were protected against Alzheimer's disease after several months of exposure to the mobile phone waves.

The memory levels of normal mice with no genetic predisposition for Alzheimer's disease were also boosted after exposure to the electromagnetic waves.

The study was the first to look at the long-term effects of mobile phone exposure in mice or humans, and its findings took the researchers by surprise.

"I started this work with a hypothesis that the electromagnetic fields would be deleterious to Alzheimer's mice," lead author Professor Gary Arendash said.

"When we got our initial results showing a beneficial effect, I thought, 'give it a few more months and it will get bad for them'.

"It never got bad. We just kept getting these beneficial effects in both the Alzheimer's and normal mice."

Based on the findings, the researchers are hopeful electromagnetic field exposure could be an effective, non-invasive and drug-free way to prevent and treat Alzheimer's in humans.

Digresion our specialty!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 05:28:14 AM »
Now the Cleveland Clinic says cell phones are hazardous.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/health&id=6843802

I actually have this condition in my right elbow, but not from cell phone use. It's from poor posture while using a mouse. ( I work on computers all day, and use my left hand for the cell phone)

How can one tell if a mouse has Alzheimer's?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:46:10 AM by the mojo hobo »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 06:20:58 AM »

How can one tell if a mouse has Alzheimer's?

Damn, I know the answer to this one........I just can't remember right now ;)
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »
Its trackball starts wandering?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »
Terr, long before you'll die of a cell phone induced brain tumor you'll be unfortunately dead from copper poisoning from hitting those cymbals all the time and transporting little particles into the air and eventually into your lungs with every crash/bang/wallop. So sell those drums now!

Italy has for years had the most cell phone activity and density in its population. Now we all know that Italians are mad, but is it down to brain tumors?

And as regards GQ, our upstanding citizens of Lynyrd Skynyrd have long determined what to think of it: Best ignored (as mentioned/sung at 0.24-0.30).

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
Bill Gibson is a bit "Orson" imo... Citizen Kane came first, as did Neuromancer... gotta admit I've enjoyed his work, but I lean more towards his "spiritual" father, Philip K...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
"The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" is all I have to say to you Ken.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
LOL...!

(I'm off to bed before I splurt any more tea over this laptop...  ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
Neuromancer is one of my favourite books, but I found the rest of the series a bit of a let down. Virtual Light is good, and All Tomorrow's Parties.

Lots of Philip K Dick references turn up in Red Dwarf, it's good fun spotting them.

Not all cell phones are good for mice.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »
I've used the movie Blade Runner and the original book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep both in my graduate class about the impacts of technology on society. 

Many students are surprised to find that the elements the movie covers are only a small part of what happens in the book.  But it makes a great discussion starter!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."