Author Topic: 2015 Thunderboid  (Read 2769 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
2015 Thunderboid
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »
Stopped in the local GC last week for some strings and having a bit of time on my hands noticed that there was no one in the newly designed bass section. I was more interested in trying out a few combos so I just grabbed a bass off the wall that I was familiar with. Now I should say that I have had 3 Thunderbirds ( one from the 60's and 2 from the last 20 years). I sold them and have been TBird free for.... About 2 years now.  Anyhow i sat down with this bass and the first thing I noticed was how light and balanced it was. It was also set up properly and did have a bit more of a ...boutique feel to it. Plugged it in and of course noticed the exposed poles and 2 little switches under the nice simple vvt (i like simplicity and do not like  lots of switches). Playing it i was surprised at some of the varying tones available and not complicated to understand).  One of the things about my previous TBirds was that if you pretty much set the V & T full on you would have that famous sound ( of course noting the differences from the '60' s version and the TB+).  Now this new ' 15 version is somewhat another animal. i actually also like the bridge and there was a significant resonance just plucking it before I plugged it in. So for me this bass was pretty nice all around. I am not really hung up on what previous TBirds models were like, I just took it on what it played, sounded and felt like.  I was intigued enough to play it for about 20 minutes before I put it back on the rack. Yes , I did notice the price when putting it back and ...... Not sure they are going to sell many of these and Yes, I did wonder what Gibson was thinking once again as I think they could have produced this for the same price as before. Perhaps the extra quality control and care in putting  it together justifies it for them, which is actually too bad, as every instrument should be fully inspected and be proudly packed and set up when they leave the factory.  I do think Uwe needs one of these and would appreciate it. I am thinking myself as well. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Thunderboid
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:20:58 PM »
I think Uwe has one on order. He will be happy that it's different.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Different is good!  My 90's and 2000 TBs are different from one another and nothing like my 60'sNR.  Life is good that way!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:16 AM »
I really need to pick mine up, it is sitting there, waiting for me. Maybe this week ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »

A couple of the guys on TB have the newie and really like it.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »
It's now safely in my Volvo V 70. Will report. Also saw an SG there with the Babicz bridge, it's an acquired taste, too much bridge on too little a bass. I blame everyone here for your mind- and groundless hate of the good ole three point Holy Immaculate Floatie!!!  You vill liff tö rekrett zis!!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »
Movie moments... A Bridge To Far...? - a new rule in ze haus... I don't collect for bridges or fins?

Song moments... Bridge over troubled waters...?  I don't get the (3) point anymore...

A Young man's thoughts... the bridge, we're building now, it may take a lot of time to be accepted...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
It's now safely in my Volvo V 70. Will report. Also saw an SG there with the Babicz bridge, it's an acquired taste, too much bridge on too little a bass. I blame everyone here for your mind- and groundless hate of the good ole three point Holy Immaculate Floatie!!!  You vill liff tö rekrett zis!!!

Gibson could have designed their own bridge. Guess that would have been beyond their capabilities. You ought to write to them and suggest they reassign Anne Erickson to work on it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »

Hey now!

This Ami loves a Three point - It's just best in chrome  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »
Gibson could have designed their own bridge. Guess that would have been beyond their capabilities. You ought to write to them and suggest they reassign Anne Erickson to work on it.

:rimshot:

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 04:26:46 AM »
I collect for fins so until they accidently send a Thunderbird husk through the Les Paul paint booth I'll have to wait.

And luckily it can be modified back to the superior low mass/low contact 3-point easily enough  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 04:42:23 AM »
First observations: The frets are thinner, positioned more neatly, buzz free even with low action - the PLEK thing seems to work. The fin is not as handicraft/kitchen brush applied as on older Thunderbirds . Did they do something with the lower cutaway? High register access seems easier. Pups provide more treble/presence, but aren't sterile or anything, the dueling (sic!) mini toggle switches give a nice array of nuanced mids, a more variable Tbird, but still a TBird. I'm pleased.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »
When will everyone learn to just trust the good old, German engineered Schaller roller bridge?  ;D  ;)  :P

Seriously, I've had them on so many basses, past and present, and they've never done me wrong - alumi-Kramer, graphite-necked Kawai (gone), Guild Pilot (gone), Hamer Cruisebass (original style - gone), Pedulla MVP (gone), Rickenbacker 4003S, Gibson Les Paul, FenderBird...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
I've never complained about the Schaller Roller Brücke!!! Wonderful in all aspects except that string to saddle pressure isn't exactly huge, but whether you want that or not is again a matter of taste.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »
The Schaller Roller Bridge is a fine bridge. It's very low profile though, and would probably have to have an even larger riser block than the Babicz to work with the current Thunderbird.