Author Topic: 'New' Gibson Pickups  (Read 1817 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
'New' Gibson Pickups
« on: November 10, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Yesterday I played a 2015 Gibson Thunderbird for the first time. Please note that I do have a 2008 TBIV which I do like. However this one with the Music Man looking pickups and the Babicz bridge did ring some bells.  I rather liked it and the little switches(which I usually hate) did give some nice sound options that were refreshing, possibly because I am so used to the + pups on my TBIV and Supreme.
It also seemed the neck profile was ever so slightly wider which did not bother me. One of the appealing things to me on the TBIV's was that thin neck profile which suits my smaller fingers. Actually the '15 did not remind of any T Bird of any era at all. But that did not bother me. I have 2 very nice Precisions and one of them might have to be sacrificed for one of these '15's. I also noticed when I first saw the '15's about a year and a half ago ago hanging up in several music shops around the Bay Area , they did not catch my interest with those pups and little switches. However not after playing one.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 'New' Gibson Pickups
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »
I liked the DeCola pickups when I played them on the EB Bass that is now in Uwe's collection. Well balanced to my ears, yet not bland, still had plenty of character. A side-by-side comparison with the TB Plus would be interesting.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:24:28 PM »
I like the pickups on my EB a lot...

Not as many highs as a precision, but to my ears, the frequencies reproduced are the "right" ones...

Still sounds very "Gibson-ish"

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »
Speaking of new pickups, wasn't there a mention of some new Gibson basses coming out for 2017 as well? Would be nice to see some classic designs come back. Maybe they can put the new pickup in a Grabber. A perfect homage to the new Commander in Chief!   :rimshot:
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
Speaking of new pickups, wasn't there a mention of some new Gibson basses coming out for 2017 as well? Would be nice to see some classic designs come back. Maybe they can put the new pickup in a Grabber. A perfect homage to the new Commander in Chief!   :rimshot:

Aside from the 2017 EB Bass T that's already out, apparently not. Chris P. said that there would be more for the 2018 model year.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
So does that mean Gibson will not have any Thunderbirds or SG basses in their catalogue? Wow! I wonder what they have up there sleaves?!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »
So does that mean Gibson will not have any Thunderbirds or SG basses in their catalogue? Wow! I wonder what they have up there sleaves?!

Not for 2017, but I'll be surprised if they don't make a return in 2018. Not necessarily with the DeCola pickups though.

Chris P. is editor of De Bassist magazine, he'll be the first to find out.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
If I hear or see something...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
Compared to the tried and trusted TB Plus, the DeColas offer a bit more P Bass clarity and sonic tidiness - they are not as "all over" (or raunchy, depending on your preference) as TB Plus pups.

I thought the TB 2015 was an effectively, yet gently modernized weapon. Only indignant traditionalists could fault it. Which means, of course, 90% of the forum members here.  :rimshot:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:42:24 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
Oh, I always thought that 90% were tourists...!?
Yes, Your description of the difference between the DeGravy and TB+ hits the nail on the head so to speak.