Author Topic: Neil Young blames Apple  (Read 3942 times)

HornetAMX

Re: Neil Young blames Apple
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 10:59:45 AM »
Those one note Young solos do more to me than all the notes of Satriani and Vai together.

+1

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
I agree about the one note played with conviction but I detest Neil Young's music because of a friend in high school that tortured us with his music 24/7 played really loud through a crappy sound system. Same with Zepplin- Listened a life time of their music .

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »
Sometimes I play Ordinary People three times in a row. That's an hour:)

HornetAMX

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »
Back in 1980 my band in College played "Ohio" and "Hey, Hey, My, My" (or was it the other way around?) and they were both rocking songs.  I even like his 80's "strange" period stuff, especially the rockabilly LP he put out.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
i also use ancient KLH speakers.
these.....................

Blimey, I thought I was the only person in the world to still have a pair of those. God knows when I bought them, maybe 1975. They've outlived 3 amps, survived 6 house moves, 2 small children and friends, cats sleeping on them or using them as steps, numerous drunken parties. As well as sounding great, they also still look good. In fact, I did recently consider changing them and my wife wouldn't let me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:54:25 PM by PhilT »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
I think any type of media that reduces music to the same experience as listening to it on the radio devalues it. For me, a lot of the appeal of music has to do with seeing the product (and be it on a small CD inlay where I have to squint my eyes), seeing a nicely printed CD, the smell of fresh plastic and hearing it in context. I used to record CDRs and before that cassettes with my favorite tracks, but I noticed it ruined the experience and eventually even the song itself for me, so I kicked the habit. It is like tearing the best pages from your favorite books and glueing them all together. The result won't be world literature. A Day in the Life works best at the end of Sgt. Pepper and not anywhere else.

And as someone who has witnessed Neil Young only recently: His pitch is top notch. His electric guitar playing is controlled anarchy, yes, but he had a great overall sound in that 5.000 seater hall.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »
I agree with Uwe:

I love albums!

Listening to Sergeant Pepper is like a journey and so is Tommy. If a random song from Tommy comes by at my Creative Zen it just doesn't work... And with albums there's the sleeve notes, the sleeve itself. I remember my early teens, listening to soul and asking myself who this Cropper guy was who wrote songs with Otis. The same with Goffin/King, which brought me to Tapestry (*), and Shuman/Pomus.

(*) There are still dozens of albums I wanna buy, but sometimes I have a black out in a record store. I keep a list in my computer, but of course I'll always forget it. That same thing happened some years ago when I was in a record store with a colleague. We decided to go for a beer and the moment we walked into the pub (next door to the record store) I remembered Tapestry by Carole King. Not even a minute later the whole album started. After the third song i ordered a second beer and I asked the bar lady if she heard me talking 'bout Tapestry. She didn't, so it was sheer coincidence.
I immediately went to the store to buy Tapestry, but it wasn't in stock.
The next day I visited the same store and Tapestry just came in.

Harry Mulisch-like coincidence as we call it in The Netherlands.

About albums:
Q magazine featured an article about U2. The Edge and Bono, both multi-millionaires of course, argued day after day about the right track listing of the new album. They both tried to win the opinion of the journalist and they fought like little children about the track listing. When Q reviewed the album they stated, like always: Download track 1, 3, 6 and 8. They're best.

I hate that, cos some songs grow on you.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 05:58:25 PM »
so so true.when my old band recorded our lp,we spent so much time getting the order right.some songs go great together some don't.and being a vinyl only release you also gotta think about side 1 and side 2. which is also the drawback to records......you gotta get up to flip it over.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:37 AM »
I think what Uwe and Chris are talking about is a problem of compilation and "best of" albums, rather than mp3 players. You can rip an entire album to mp3, or even flac if you're that upset by compression loss, and so long as you have the right player you can play the whole album in the original order. So you lose the sleeve notes - not a big problem if you're listening to music while driving.

Still, I can see why you need to keep the movements of a Beethoven symphony in the right order, or even an album like Tommy, but U2? Actually I quite like U2's music, but they do have a slightly inflated view of their own importance. How many bands play entire albums in the right order at live gigs? 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 07:08:11 AM »
A live concert has its own pacing, I'm not a huge fan of those "touring the complete album" things which are all the rage now, it can lead to lifeless reproduction of the album sound. Though I did like what The Sparks did in London: Playing twenty-something nights at the same venue, each one devoted to an album of theirs complete and culminating in the presentation of their new (and very good) Let the Monkey Drive album.

I had no idea that an I-Pod could replicate the quality of a CD, all I ever hear is people bragging about how much they get on their I-Pods, never how good it sounds. I don't own one nor do I intend to. I like the comfort of 20-something CDs lying around in my car.

Uwe
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:15:44 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
For me it all depends. Some albums need to be played in order for me to appreciate them. Others will do fine in a compilation.

But either way, Apple isn't at fault, and Neil's still a grumpy old man who doesn't understand freedom of choice.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
Tom, I agree, although Neil's passion doesn't move me. Just a matter of taste.

But that was just an aside, really. I think his blaming Apple is way off base, and it just amused me that someone as sloppy as Neil would be so concerned about sound quality.

I think Dave's right on here.  I think Neil's a great rock song writer, but I've never really connected with his guitar playing (solos) or his passion.  But hey, people buy his stuff, so he's got something for someone and that's what life's all about, isn't it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
For me it all depends. Some albums need to be played in order for me to appreciate them. Others will do fine in a compilation.

But either way, Apple isn't at fault, and Neil's still a grumpy old man who doesn't understand freedom of choice.
thats 'cause Neil wasn't in Devo. ???
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
thats 'cause Neil wasn't in Devo. ???

;D

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »

Dead right. All you can really blame Apple for is grabbing hold of the mp3 as a vehicle for selling music, helping to cement its popularity, and making money out of it. There's a lot of resentment in the music business over that, so it wouldn't surprise me if Mr Young didn't exactly think up that line for himself. The number of technology changes the music business hasn't seen coming and has treated as a threat rather than an opportunity, is so long it's hard to feel sympathy for them any more.