Author Topic: Moving SUCKS or I am way too old to do this anymore!  (Read 1062 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Moving SUCKS or I am way too old to do this anymore!
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
Geez, if I hada known it was going to be this bad I would have stayed in the little house in the crummy neighborhood!

We sold our house in nine days, yes nine days, at full asking price :o  It was a VA loan and the extra level of BS was really a pain >:( 

Just getting ready to move was a PIA!  I must have tossed $400 worth of hardwood scraps out of my garage - I was just too beat to move any more of it.  I rented a 16 foot Pod and stored 90% of our stuff in it while we wait for the house to be built - all I can say is 10 pounds of s*^t in a 5 pound bag - where did we get all of this JUNK!?  I've always thought that we were pretty good with managing the level of junk that we held onto and that we're not overly huge comusmers - WRONG!  I was embarrased at just how much stuff we bagged up and tossed for the garbage collection - why did we have this junk in our house and just where in the Hell did we keep it all?  Our house wasn't cluttered and was very clean so where was all of this mountain of flotsam and jetsam hiding?  I don't know what the answer is but the more exhausted we became the more this junk seemed to lose it's once perceived value.

We actually moved last Sunday and we just now have the temporary apartment set up and organized to our liking though it will be this Tuesday before we have cable TV and internet access.  Even hiring movers this really sucked  - I figure I'm going to die in the new house because I'm not going to move again ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Moving SUCKS or I am way too old to do this anymore!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
My sympathies! I remember what it was like (in 2003, after 16 years at the old place).

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
there's always more stuff to save than there is to throw out.  it's a law of human nature.  there is nothing to be done.   :sad:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:14:10 AM »
 I hear ya after 15 years of blood sweat and tears restoring our 1840 farm house we are leaving for a better school district. I am a pack rat a neat one but a pack rat none the less I can't believe all the crap I have collected. Had a $5 box sale while I cleaned out the barn yesterday, just get this stuff out of my site. We are almost done packing up our house has turned into a maze of boxes. We take early posession on 7-12 and close on the 18. I'm doing the move mostly myself with friends pitching in. Movers get the appliances and heavy tools bedding etc. I never planned on leaving this house so I dragged stuff home accordingly. I'm psyched though, the new house is another old farm house and it's on a quiet street ! Nice deep dry basement and a big carriage house for all my.............................. stuff  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:45:39 AM »
I went thru 2 big moves in the last 4 years, one cross country. We got rid of a ton of stuff when we came back to AZ. After we moved into the rental house we would go thru the garage once a year to get rid of stuff that we weren't using or didn't need. Then we bought our house (closed on April 30th) and moved again. We sorted thru stuff again and donated a lot of stuff, sold some furniture, and threw stuff away. We STILL have a lot of boxes to go thru to determine what stays and what goes! All I can figure is that you can never really get rid of enough stuff. Anyone that is moving has my sympathy! Especially if you've been in the same home for a long time.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
I hear you Scott!

I hired the movers for the furniture and the washer and dryer.  We moved all of the clothes in the closets ourselves as well as the all of the food and the odds and ends as well like lamps and such.  After watching my crew work I realized that I should have let these guys move as much as possible - the were incredibly fast, effecient and very careful.  What took us another three hours to move these guys could have done in twenty minutes.  By the time they finished it was almost 94 degrees and the humidity was about 90% which had the heat index probably pushing 110 - I kept them in lots of cold water and made sure they each left with a decent tip as I need to use the same company when we leave apartment ;)

I do envy you getting to live in a farmhouse - I'm leaving a mid 70's tract cracker box for current semi-custom job - which will still not have the character of an old house.  Even though it was time to leave the old one it was hard because I had completely rebuilt the poor thing and it was where we raised our daughter.  To have a basement and a out building - well, those are luxuries that we don't have on the Gulf Coast :sad:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:59:11 AM »
"I am a pack rat a neat one but a pack rat none the less I can't believe all the crap I have collected."

I expect derelict Badass bridges ("better than the original") and saws ("for responsible luthier work") to flood ebay any moment now ...  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »
Check the side of the road.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird