Author Topic: My side of the Stage is.....  (Read 5249 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
My side of the Stage is.....
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
So...with my main  Rock band, "Sona Bliss", I play and have always played on the drummer's left side...stage left. Even in our earlier bands that the 3 of us played in, I always played on this side. I play in another band on occasion, a Metal band, called Diamond Rexx (few albums out) and I play on the other side,stage right. NOTHING ever sounds right...NEVER...I can't get my tone...I've tried 3 different amps and it sounds like crap...plus they are WAY too Loud.
   But with my main band,  I've played through MANY different amps, and yet still can get MY TONE. So I realized today that...either I play on the left side of they find someone else...Not to be a jag. Anybody else have wacky ears like this??? I spoke with a buddy this morning...He FULLY agreed with me...it's the way my ears are...

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
Re: My side of the Stage is.....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
It's true. But it's not, at the same time. You definitely hear yourself differently, but that mostly has to do with years of having the same ear to the drummer. Your right ear is more than likely missing a lot of highs from prolonged cymbal exposure, and your left ear probably hears warmer bass frequencies from prolonged bass amp exposure. Check it real quick by snapping your fingers about a foot from your left ear, and then again with the same hand about a foot from your right ear. You'll probably notice that your right ear hears it a little bit meatier, and your left ear hears it a bit snappier.

Well, when you change sides of the stage, you're going to hear the same thing. Lack of treble, lots of white noise, muddy low mids and bottom end. Of course, it doesn't ACTUALLY sound like that, you just aren't used to hearing a different frequency range. No one put a towel over your amp, you just now have your partially deaf drummer ear towards your speaker cabinet.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
Back when I played we all used IEM's.  I could still hear the drums but all I had in my mix were vox, some guitar and my bass! :)

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »
Stage right for me...on the floor tom side of my drummer or it sounds odd to me.

I think it's a carry over from years ago from basement rehearsals and I just got used to it. Then onstage, I found that when I turn to look at the drummer it also kept my bass neck/headstock out of the path of the guitarists/singer prancing about across the front of the stage.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »
I practice standing in front of the drums.  On stage, usually to the drummer's right.

But the acoustics are so different between our basement practice area and any stage that it's a bit disorienting regardless of where I stand during performance.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
play with too many bands to be a one position bass man but i am firm on standing near my amp.  did a gig recently that i was on other side of stage from the bass amp and never felt right.  even effected my vocals as i was hearing more of everything else than i am used to.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
I prefer left, but can also do right. Stage right is Ritchie's side, I am not worthy!

With masturbation otoh, it's the other way around.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
I learnt to change ears at 99... err, is that mixing my metaphors...?

(right ear is deafer than the left, and "bassier" - my eyes also see colour differently (go figure) - prefer stage left for neck reasons but have worked both sides of the drum riser - modern answer is in-ear for the bigger-gigger - out of my league, though; probably yours at the mo to, Baz... :sad:)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

I own all of stage right.............. ;D
I don't need anybody over there but me, the occasional visit from our key player to do background vocals excepted. I use IEMs so it really doesn't matter.............

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
I'm always left of the drummer. It just doesn't feel good on the other side. Did it with all my bands. Sometimes I have to change for a gig, but it never feels good. Not a sound thing though.

Masturbation right, Uwe.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:46:50 PM »
With masturbation otoh, it's the other way around.

See, if you do it left handed it feels like someone else is doing it  :P
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
 Stage right, if it was good enough for Sir Paul, J.A.E. and Jimmy Lea it's good enough for me! There was a time when the band was talking about adding a keyboard player(what a waste of real estate) I told then now way in hell is he going on my side of the stage..................I never heard another word about it.  ;D Running for my side of the stage Once in a while I'll allow the singer in my territory ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:36:45 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »
I like the hi-hat next to me.  Hearing smaller subdivisions of time help me to drop it right in the pocket.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
I told then now way in hell is he going on my side of the stage..................I never heard another word about it.  

Must have had something to do with the Watusi spear you had affixed to the headstock of your bass.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:23 PM »
I'm OK out front (if I'm also singing) or stage right (my preference, like Paul, Gene, & Nikki). I feel really weird if I have to play stage left all night!