Author Topic: pinkie?  (Read 5140 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
pinkie?
« on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »
seriously,how often do you guys use your pinkie?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: pinkie?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 12:22:22 AM »
Hardly ever used it at first but it's my most calloused finger now.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 05:05:04 AM »
I recently got one of those Varigrip hand excercisers that you often see in music stores. I always thought they were ridiculous until I tried one.
I work out regularly , I've been playing bass for over 40 years and I have pretty strong hands. These Varigrip things allow you to work each finger individually. Any other hand excerciser I've ever seen works your entire hand as one group of muscles. When you work your pinky individually, you will be amazed at how weak and uncoordinated it is :o
Almost every stringed instrument player tends to use their ring finger to support the pinky most of the time . Strenghtening your pinky will provide you with greater dexterity and you will use it more.
Playing scales for hours on end  is a good thing for strength and dexterity but it is nothing compared to isolating that little finger and working it out on it's own :).
Take your little girly man pinky and pump it up ;D
Rick

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
 I can't really say how often but it is in the mix some where, especially for those long reaches.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 06:22:33 AM »
Actually, my index and pinkie are the two fingers on my fretting hand that I use the most. Where alot of players use their ring finger to make a two fret stretch (like 3rd to 5th fret), I tend to cram my whole mitt into that space. I use the more "conventional" method when I'm up above the 12th fret. I can't explain why I do it this way, but it seems to better facilitate left (fretting) hand muting, so that may be part of it.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Hornisse

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
I've got small mits so I use it all the time.  Especially doing octaves.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »

I'll do chording or runs, even on the fretless, so the pinkie gets it's use, and I practice using all the fingers on the other hand for playing too... the Hohner is a double octave neck, so I was quite guilty of a lot of work past the 12th, too... just not so much with this lot...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:05:25 AM »
I do use it quite a bit because I can't stretch my fingers as far as a lot of guys even though my hands are average size. OTOH it's not something I really notice or make a conscious effort to use.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
i knew a girl who would make yer pinkie stinky :mrgreen:
Fleet Guitars

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
... an' a Texan birdie (ask a German about "VOGEL") went for her lickety-splitly...  ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »
Kenny! You always make me laugh!!:D

I use two fingers on my right hand: Index and middle finger and I can play fingerstyle faster than some pick guys. Yeah, come on with the jokes about why girls love me ;D

But left I only use index, middle and ring finger, sometimes the last to as one;) So I do a lot of sliding. No power in my pinky.

I used a powerball for a while, but just for fun.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
Powerball...? is that some kind of rampant-rabbit...?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
 Being Ambidextrous has it's advantages, especially for certain "activities"  ;)

On my fretting hand I do regularly use my pinkie, on my picking hand my pinkie's outside edge is very calloused from rubbing across the top of my wonderful chromey 3 point bridge.  
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
i knew a girl who would make yer pinkie stinky :mrgreen:

That reminds me of a girl nicknamed Twinkie, "friend" of a former coworker. She had a certain talent...

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
... an' a Texan birdie (ask a German about "VOGEL") went for her lickety-splitly...  ;)

zzinng!! i like that remark!! 8)
 all seriousness aside, i took a few lessons w/ gary willis. if you are familiar w/ him you will notice he has invented his own way of playing whereby he assigns a finger-or thumb- to each string (he plays a 5).
i have had that in the back of my mind ever since, although my main direction is still much more jamerson, rocco prestia, 2 finger style. i can get pretty damn quick w/ em too. like fast up-down picking without the click..  
Fleet Guitars