Author Topic: Should I keep this mongrel?  (Read 5272 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Should I keep this mongrel?
« on: August 22, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »
OK, my buddy Pilgrim thinks my 24.25" Mosrite "bass" is a thing of unique beauty. What do the rest of you guys think?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Should I keep this mongrel?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »
i would make a 30.5" conversion neck for it. it has a short guitar neck already. you would be looking at a 6.25" additional and that shouldn't put it out of reach for the low end. keep the old neck and mount it on the wall of my studio (garage) sans tuners in case you ever found a buyer for a "rare" Mosrite. put on a set of short TI strings and play that little momma.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »
You know, that crossed my mind. But I want to punish this baldface liar.   But, I'd still like to keep it! Damn am I conflicted.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
Conflict can lead to fear
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:02:39 PM »
Does it fit in an overhead on a plane?
If so, keep it.  :mrgreen:

I've got a Steinberger myself for trips.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:42:02 AM »
For tje zillionth time: Keep it!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »
 I'd just keep it .
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:00:12 AM »
Hummm, should I bow to public pressure?  I do like everything about it except the neck is a bit weird to play and the way it was sold.  Conflict is a pain for sure!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 05:11:44 AM »
Do what you feel about the bass. Is it worth fixing/changing?

Or do you just want to be rid of it and the whole experience?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 05:20:21 AM »
Do what you feel about the bass. Is it worth fixing/changing?

Or do you just want to be rid of it and the whole experience?

Well, you are right on target.  I'm pissed the seller is a lying dog, but the bass has some good qualities.  I'd like to get even with him, but I don't think keeping it would be all bad.  You guys know my weakness for anything hollow!  The body and all of its components are in fine shape.  A bass neck could be fitted on.  I've actually seen a couple Mosrite bass necks on eBay from time to time.  On the other hand, the stupid thing sounds pretty good in spite of the goofy scale.  I do worry about finding strings for it in the future if I keep it.  It is all original Mosrite, which is good.. 

I don't think he actually cobbled this together from spare parts as Dave suggests.  The neck is really old and shows signs of years of playing.  It also look like it was built originally to be what it is.  The serial numbers on  the neck and body match, which makes me think it was a custom build for someone with odd tastes/needs.  So, my conflicted feelings go back and forth on this.  If I win the Pay Pal claim, I might actually end up regret sending the mongrel back.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 05:49:23 AM »
 Would the seller do a partial refund ? that way you get to keep the bass and get some money back ! You get to spank him and you get want you want, what could be better.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 07:12:20 AM »
Would the seller do a partial refund ? that way you get to keep the bass and get some money back ! You get to spank him and you get want you want, what could be better.

I doubt he would.  His last email to me was pretty much "in your face, tough luck sucker" in tone.  That's what's bugging me about this.  If he had a different posture, I wouldn't have escalated my dispute with him to a claim.

Well, based on some info I got from the guys at the Mosrite forum, I popped the neck and looked around.  The bad news is the top of the bass is separating from the wood block that makes up the neck pocket.  I could fix it, but I don't want to do anything to it until this is settled.  I didn't see any dates or anything, but I was not happy about the separation.  Also, the height adjustment screws on the pups have been up and down so much the top hole they fit into on the mounts is stripped.

So, I'm still in conflicted mode, but have decided to go through with the claim.  Even if he tried to stiff PayPal, I have their $2000 guarantee to fall back on.  It will be worth it now to see how it plays out.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »
It's good to know that it may not a frankenbass if you're eventually forced to keep it or resell, but it doesn't change the fact that he cheated you by misrepresenting the scale. And failing to disclose that separation of the top from the block is another misrepresentation.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
It's good to know that it may not a frankenbass if you're eventually forced to keep it or resell, but it doesn't change the fact that he cheated you by misrepresenting the scale. And failing to disclose that separation of the top from the block is another misrepresentation.

I agree.  I have a strong case so I should win.  It just tales some patience and a few weeks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »
Here's a note from a Mosrite collector I've connected with.  Also, one of the guys in the Mosrite forum used to work at the first Mosrite factory in CA.  So this info is very accurate.

Quote from: Dennisthe Menace
Hi Bill.  The design of your Bass all points to a Celebrity III.  First of all, the Headstock TUNERS (also known as Duckfeet tuners) did not come out until late JAN-FEB of '66. Your Scratchplate contains the Vol and Tone, P'up Selector, and output jack. The original Celebrity had the VOL and TONE flush on the Body (wood). Meanwhile the Selector switch was mounted up above the Pickguard on the Treble Bout. And the Pickups had the Pole piece screws.  The Celebrity III was more of a budget (or Student) type Instrument. But you STILL had Professionals that played them, so you couldn't really say it was a student model.

These pix (Original Celebrity Bass) should show you the differences between the Original and your Celebrity III.
   Bill, is there any kind of Orange Sticker inside the F-Hole? Usually they are stamped with the Model on it.  But if need be, you might want to pop the neck, but only if you've done this B4 and judging by your work you've done on your Basses, my guess is that you have ;) .
Once you've done that, you'll see a date stamped on there. But bottom line, I have NEVER SEEN a '65 Bass with '66 Tuners, and the Celebrity III would not be out until roughly around mid '66........Let me know what you find.  My computer will be in the shop Mon-Wed for it's 60,000 mile tune-up, so I'll be back on line around THURS. If you have any other questions, Danny's your man, especially if you have questions regarding popping the neck....CHEERS!!! D t M  ;)