Author Topic: Before the usual prog-derisory remarks of Herr Westheimer ruin this thread ...  (Read 3491 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
... may I sneak in the question whether anybody has heard the new Yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzoNTYTSufY&feature=related

It immediately reminded me of why I always liked Starcastle better than Yes - they didn't have Jon Anderson singing! I like this new guy from a Cannuck tribute band way better - more timbre in his voice and he still hits the high notes, even a bit of Police era Sting in him. Squire's bass playing ain't as "I command you to make room for me, mortals!"-abrasive as it was, but he still gets his due playing time in the mix. Downes' - on loan from Asia - keyboard playing (always more a pianist than an organist) and songwriting is all over as is Trevor Horn's stellar production job which echoes some of Alan Parson's best work in the past. And the first song errm, work is close to 30 minutes long including a lengthy neo Mike Oldfieldish-repetetive part (is the needle hanging or are they playing this on purpose?) instrumental part over weird meters, at 20.14, shortly into the song  :mrgreen:. Oh yes (pun not intended, but still working rather well), Steve Howe still can't play a rock guitar solo or break to save his life.  :mrgreen: But overall the album is tuneful and catchy - sometimes only the deliberate "let's make this sound strange and not natural!"-breaks give away who's playing. Recommended.

Who ever said that anything was bad about the seventies? I feel inclined now to see them on their German tour.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:56:03 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
I have been planning on buying it, just haven't gotten to the store.  Always loved YES except for a period in the late-seventies/early eighties when it seemed like the mix on their albums got really harsh, midrangey and unmusical.  Like "Relayer". Loved the music but hated the mix.

Zep kinda went through that same stage with their mix...maybe it was a 70's thing.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
I bought it as soon as it came out. And I'm kind of a gushing fanboy about it. It makes me happy to hear new music like this. If you don't like Yes, forget it. If you do, buy it now! Picks up where Drama left off. Mostly written by Downes and Horn. EVERYBODY sounds great on this record. This is the first Yes album I've bought since Big Generator.  :mrgreen:

chromium

• View Profile
I didn't even know about this... have to check it out.  Relayer is still one of my fav albums, so sounds like I might enjoy it  ;D

Big Generator wasn't quite as timeless, was it haha.  (but I'd still geek out to it)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Just ordered tickets. 4th row.

And dug the Ric out for tonight's rehearsal!  :mrgreen:

Barklessdog

• View Profile
I have had it for a while (surprise). At first I was a bit dissapointed about Jon anderson not on it, but it really grew on me. One of my favorite LP's of the year so far.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Picks up where Drama left off.

Makes sense if Anderson is missing. He wasn't on Drama either.   I love Yes. Saw the Union tour in London in the 90's and enjoyed it very much.
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
They still show how unique & gifted their song writing abilities are that dwarf all of the newer prog bands.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Dave has kept amazingly quiet so far. I find his damning silence unsettling, he must be up to something.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Dave has kept amazingly quiet so far. I find his damning silence unsettling, he must be up to something.

I only make derisive remarks when someone else implies that everyone ought to be awed by it or that there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't like it. Same goes for any other kind of music.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
That was a very diplomatic statement, Dave, well measured and going out of its way not to discriminate odd meter people. You're sure you're alright, Dave? ; - )

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
That was a very diplomatic statement, Dave, well measured and going out of its way not to discriminate odd meter people. You're sure you're alright, Dave? ; - )

I'm fine. It's been years now, but IIRC this all started way back at the Pit when I was attacked for saying I couldn't stand John McLaughlin. Remember? My response was probably blunt.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I'm fine. It's been years now, but IIRC this all started way back at the Pit when I was attacked for saying I couldn't stand John McLaughlin. Remember? My response was probably blunt.

Dave, being blunt????

Inconceivable!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Compared to Dave on a grumpy day, cobras are household pets.