Author Topic: New from Ampeg  (Read 867 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
New from Ampeg
« on: March 31, 2023, 09:32:29 PM »

morrow

• View Profile
Re: New from Ampeg
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 04:50:35 AM »
Seems a lot of manufacturers are doing preamps.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 07:11:32 AM »
I'm really happy with my Tech 21 VT Bass, but I wouldn't mind checking this out. It may have a little more "stuff" than I care or need to deal with, but looks pretty good overall.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 08:20:00 AM »
That figures. I waited two years before I bought the SCR-DI - after I bought and sold the Classic Preamp pedal. Not sure I can justify $400 on this, though.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 09:21:46 AM »
What a weird video.  Like the guy on the left doesn't know everything about it already.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 02:13:27 PM »
Ampeg have been letting the competition do 'an Ampeg in a pedal' for a while. I think we are seeing the hand of Yamaha here. SVTs are cool, but beyond knackered back line rentals and a few touring acts most folk don't need 300 watts of tube power blasting out of a wardrobe onstage. The future is IEMs, whisper-quiet stage volumes and haptic devices to simulate the kick and punch of instruments. Yamahampeg want to shift lots of goods to lots of consumers; watch out for peg Bluetooth speakers and headphones, I guess.

The problem with preamp pedals is knowing when to stop. Make it an SVT and B-15 in a box and people will want more blend, crossover, sweepable mids, effects loops etc. People already seem annoyed that they haven't just copied a Darkglass design for this. 

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 07:55:53 AM »
The future is IEMs, whisper-quiet stage volumes and haptic devices to simulate the kick and punch of instruments.

That is most unfortunate. I'm seeing a lot of younger "audio engineers" that don't even know how to mix a live rock band. They would be in tears if this were the 80s or 90s. I still use my '74 SVT head on occasion. It DOES have a volume knob.  ;D