Author Topic: Fender 2013 LTD Edition Bass VI (vs.) Fender 2013 Pawn Shop Bass VI  (Read 6876 times)

dc10bass

• View Profile

Question...

Does anyone have a specific opinion about the Fender 2013 LTD Edition Bass VI - VS. - Fender 2013 Pawn Shop Bass VI?

Other than the obvious different pickup configuration and pickup switches... Is one significantly more superior to the other?
...Pros / Cons?

Thanks!

Fender 2013 LTD Edition Bass VI (Made in Japan)

Fender 2013 Pawn Shop Bass VI (Made in Mexico)

www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
I think so.  I played one Thursday and the pups are much stronger and even across the strings.  The build quality is pretty much the same.  I am tempted to trade up.  The MIJ model is very nice.  The switches and variety made possible by them is really cool and are the big difference between the two.  A nice bass for the money if you are a VI fan IMHO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
HOG has one in already? I read somewhere that the MIJ limited edition wasn't due in until fall. [EDIT: I see at least one other store already has it in stock.]

Only 90 of the MIJ are being built for the US market (at least officially). That alone makes it worth more.

The MIJ is pretty much to vintage specs, the Pawn Shop is nothing like vintage and that's by design. I don't know about the finish, the MIJ is likely urethane and not nitro but the Pawn Shop is the less expensive quick-cure polyester finish that they use in the Ensenada factory.

I have no way to compare the build quality, but if you want a traditional Bass VI, the MIJ would certainly be the way to go. If that's not as important to you then the Pawn Shop should do.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:59:58 AM by Dave W »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Yep, the HOG has 2 of them.  As for the different poly finishes, which I know nothing about, the rest of the basses still look pretty close in build quality to me.  They play equally well, but the MIJ sounds much better and stronger.  If they are going to be limited, it might be a good idea to snag one after all.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Yep the HOG has one I also played it nice bass but I have other fish to fry at the moment.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here's one that mentions only 90 units for North America: http://eddiesguitars.com/Fender-2013-LTD-Edition-Bass-VI-Three-Tone-Sunburst.html

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
After close examination, the new MIJ Bass VI does have a really beautiful finish.  It also doesn't have the skunk stripe down the back of the neck.  Again, the big difference that I noticed it the switches and hotter, even sounding pups.  I went back and picked it up today.  I couldn't help myself........I had some gift certificates for the HOG and this was a great way to burn them!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
After close examination, the new MIJ Bass VI does have a really beautiful finish.  It also doesn't have the skunk stripe down the back of the neck.  Again, the big difference that I noticed it the switches and hotter, even sounding pups.  I went back and picked it up today.  I couldn't help myself........I had some gift certificates for the HOG and this was a great way to burn them!
Wow - awesome! Would love to hear a report - I've got one of the CIJ ones from the '90s and was severely tempted to pick one of these up when I was in Japan last year.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
M/CIJ Fender basses typically have better quality pickups than most of the Mexican-made Fender basses.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I had some great MIM's and one very bad CIJ.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Fender 2013 LTD Edition Bass VI (vs.) Fender 2013 Pawn Shop Bass VI
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:52:23 AM »
I love my Mexi Fenders (I have three), but my first-run (pre-Strat jack) MIJ Aerodyne has some of the hottest, yet still good-sounding, passive pickups I've ever encountered (outside of MFD's) and my early Marcus Miller Jazz is an absolute monster even without the preamp. I don't have much experience with CIJ basses, so maybe that's a difference now.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 05:48:15 AM »
Well, I took the CIJ to practice last night and the pickups really performed well.  As I noticed in the store, they were very strong and perfectly even during practice.  I really do like all of the switches.  While I have a tendency to play with as much low end as possible and tame the highs, sometimes on some songs flipping a couple switches to kick the bridge/mid pup up was kinda cool.  The electronics in this bass are superb.  The rounds that come on it are good, but I'm gonna test drive a set of flats I have handy.  The stock low E-string is just too light gauge for me, so a set of heavier gauge strings all the way around will improve the "bassiness" of the instrument.  I like the fatter strings anyway.  Needless to say, the bass has a real edge to it with the rounds and there were times I fel like Geddy if I plucked the strings over the middle pup.  Things rounded out and bassed up when I moved over the neck pup.

As I said, the finish is beautiful.  As far as I could tell, they feel the same on the strap and the necks seem equivalent to me.   The bass is so easy to play, it would be tempting to use it a lot when giging.  I do have to work on the action a little bit and the truss rod has that damn adjustment in the heel, half buried under the top of the body.  Ugh. 

The one flaw I see in it are the bridge saddles.  They are the plain ones, no adjustment screws!!!!!  So, how do you raise and lower the bridge???  I can't recall if the Pawnshop Bass VI had adjustable saddles.  Guess I'll be buying a Jag guitar bridge and replacing the saddles.  Really Fender?  I guess it couldn't be perfect, could it?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »
There are good and not-so-good from both Mexico and Japan. You have to look at the individual models and make your choice.

Everything's made to a price point. I've run into some people who think everything MIJ is great but the truth is, there are several different quality/price levels made by Fender Japan.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:54 AM »
There are good and not-so-good from both Mexico and Japan. You have to look at the individual models and make your choice.

Everything's made to a price point. I've run into some people who think everything MIJ is great but the truth is, there are several different quality/price levels made by Fender Japan.

I believe that!  I really didn't see a lot of difference in finish between the two basses.  However, the electronics were vastly different.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »

The one flaw I see in it are the bridge saddles.  They are the plain ones, no adjustment screws!!!!!  So, how do you raise and lower the bridge???  I can't recall if the Pawnshop Bass VI had adjustable saddles.  Guess I'll be buying a Jag guitar bridge and replacing the saddles.  Really Fender?  I guess it couldn't be perfect, could it?

That's not bad news, all things considered.  Changing saddles is pretty easy - you might try the threaded aftermarket ones.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."