Author Topic: How to explain?  (Read 8041 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: How to explain?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 03:15:32 AM »
Sorry, but it goes the other way around. 

Same here ! All the Fenders have gone, 3 Gibbies took their places .........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
dave + doom metal = fail!
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
I havecertainly evolved differently from most here.        Fender/ric/MM/alembic/fodera (which is a fancy fender) with recent JAEbird sightings.  Clearly i evolved into  more of an active bass fan.  BUT i will say my recent tube ventures have lead me away from active basses.  IMO  tube amps and active basses don't work well as the bass respose on most active basses is overwhelming to a tube amp.  Why try amd make an active bass sound passive if i can just grab a passive one...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:53 AM »
Why try amd make an active bass sound passive if i can just grab a passive one...

I guess that's why I mainly play a Thunderbird thru a B-15N.  Both built the same year I graduated H.S., 1964.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »
I havecertainly evolved differently from most here.        Fender/ric/MM/alembic/fodera (which is a fancy fender) with recent JAEbird sightings.  Clearly i evolved into  more of an active bass fan.  BUT i will say my recent tube ventures have lead me away from active basses.  IMO  tube amps and active basses don't work well as the bass respose on most active basses is overwhelming to a tube amp.  Why try amd make an active bass sound passive if i can just grab a passive one...

I haven't experienced this at all. And IMHO using a tube amp has nothing to do with trying to make an active bass sound passive. To me it's just a matter of whether a bass sounds good or not, whether or not you're adding an on-board preamp to the signal chain.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
I seem to resist evolutionary forces. 

Got a '63 P in 1967.  Still have it.

Over the past 14 years, I've gotten enough fever to buy and sell a couple dozen basses.  Two have been active.  Both got sold.

Everything I have (a dozen) is 4-string and passive. 

About 50/50 short scale and 34" scale.

Boring, I know.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."