Author Topic: Fender Strato Bass  (Read 6922 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Fender Strato Bass
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 06:45:57 AM »
not purple but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEAN-Custom-Zone-4-string-BASS-guitar-Florescent-Nuclear-Green-NEW-/200658473345?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb82d5181

or this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEAN-Custom-Zone-4-string-BASS-guitar-fluorescent-PINK-w-Gig-Bag-/140624987327?pt=Guitar&hash=item20bde704bf

Wonderful, "Nuclear Green" and "Pink", you can't really argue with adult, "serious-minded-musician" colors like that.  :mrgreen:

I only realize now that the alleged Fender is supposed to be short scale:

"This short-scale bass may be an all-original, one of a kind Fender Prototype that never passed for mass-production."

Might that not make its prototype status more likely? Hard to see Fender bringing out a cannibalizing third long scale model to compete with P and J, but an upmarket short scale echoing the Strat look and aimed at, perhaps, guitarists who also play bass, yet getting away from the Mustang/Bronco cheapo image?

I have a few Fender books at home, they did all kinds of weird stuff, this would not have been beyond them. Nor do I think that if, say, Squier brought out something like it today that it wouldn't sell. But I'm no Fenderista.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:04:57 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
So....What's with all the 1980 New Wave day-glo colors?  Is there a Cyndi Lauper/Duran Duran world tour?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
imo it is way too easy to assemble an odd looking 'parts' bass and call it a proto type, one off. like all those proto gibsons that uwe owns. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
Huh?

It means he's an MBA with no experience in the retail music business.  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
Wonderful, "Nuclear Green" and "Pink", you can't really argue with adult, "serious-minded-musician" colors like that.  :mrgreen:

I only realize now that the alleged Fender is supposed to be short scale:

"This short-scale bass may be an all-original, one of a kind Fender Prototype that never passed for mass-production."

Might that not make its prototype status more likely? Hard to see Fender bringing out a cannibalizing third long scale model to compete with P and J, but an upmarket short scale echoing the Strat look and aimed at, perhaps, guitarists who also play bass, yet getting away from the Mustang/Bronco cheapo image?

I have a few Fender books at home, they did all kinds of weird stuff, this would not have been beyond them. Nor do I think that if, say, Squier brought out something like it today that it wouldn't sell. But I'm no Fenderista.

No, doesn't make it more likely. It's not impossible, of course, but there's ZERO evidence that it's legit and zero evidence that Fender ever undertook a project like that or wanted to create an upscale short scale.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »
imo it is way too easy to assemble an odd looking 'parts' bass and call it a proto type, one off. like all those proto gibsons that uwe owns. :)

Daaaahaaaave!!!

Can we have Nofi summarily shot (under reservation of all rights afterwards of course, I'm a sucker for due process, really), ja bitte?

Ich liebe meine Prototypen ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
Come on, people. They say
may be an all-original
, which is pretty much the same as saying "we know this is complete bullsh!t, but some sucker will buy it."  There is virtually nothing there to suggest it is a Fender instrument, and a whole lot suggesting it is not a Fender instrument. Most prominently, it has no parts or neck construction in line with what Fender was doing in 1983, the era white guards and knobs,  the biflex, and the vintage reissue.  Not quite a Bullet neck.  Even Fender Japan didn't get the black hardware bug for a couple of years after that.  Fender did have prototypes in that period that went off the beaten path, but they didn't get finished and decaled with anything that wasn't on the shelf.  Even the odd discontinued-but-still-made fretless had a current 83 style decal.   

So, it is another goofy 80's smiley metal era nightmare.  Right down to the finished squared off overhanging fretboard.  New ownership sounds like someone got a golden parachute out of a increasingly desparate buisiness, and the caveat-loaded stuff usually associated with overweight, permed, grinning dream-hawkers from CA are running the show.  Good luck, vintage fans!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 08:26:20 PM »
I'm suspicious of anything called a prototype, a large number of them are outright fakes and almost all of those that aren't fakes, aren't real prototypes either. Sometimes they're just stock models that have been modified.

Naturally it's harder with a set- or thru-neck Gibson, but look at the Giffen-made "prototypes" that Uwe bought. Of course Uwe figured out what he was buying in advance, but most buyers aren't as savvy.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:33 AM »
A prototype is an attempt (first or other) at something that evolves into a production product.  No production, no prototype.

Fairly thorough definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
A prototype is an attempt (first or other) at something that evolves into a production product.  No production, no prototype.

Fairly thorough definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype

I'm quite clear about the definition. What I'm suspicious of is sellers who claim their vintage guitar or bass is a prototype with little or no evidence. Even when it's not an outright fake, most of them I see just aren't prototypes, and I suspect that most of the time the seller is well aware of this.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
I'm quite clear about the definition. What I'm suspicious of is sellers who claim their vintage guitar or bass is a prototype with little or no evidence. Even when it's not an outright fake, most of them I see just aren't prototypes, and I suspect that most of the time the seller is well aware of this.

I knew you were aware of the def. Dave, just wanted to clear it up for those of us who might not be.  IMO we all have to pay for our education some way, either by being cheated or spending the time on research.  Caveat Emptor.  Gobble, Gobble ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
I simply know that there are no pink or purple basses or other instruments in my future.

For that matter, an instrument with a painted fretboard obviously won't wear well - they always look to me like an instrument to be played once for a special event, then signed and handed to someone to put in a display case.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
I simply know that there are no pink or purple basses or other instruments in my future.

Couldn't agree more Al.

For that matter, an instrument with a painted fretboard obviously won't wear well - they always look to me like an instrument to be played once for a special event, then signed and handed to someone to put in a display case.

Not so sure about this though. Plenty of maple boards out there which are painted albeit with clear paint. The paint on my Jazz neck hass lasted over 25 years and holding.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Maple boards are fine, but I have seen a number of them with holes worn through the clear lacquer.  Not a big deal, just comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned...I just assume it will happen eventually.  Probably takes longer with poly finish and flats than it does with nitro or acrylic lacquer and rounds.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."