Author Topic: Kubicki basses  (Read 5908 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Kubicki basses
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
Nice score!! Looks really clean and the 18volt electronics is a real bonus!

My bud who I trade my minty bright yellow one (SN#555) for his SN#044 called me last weekend when he was in NY playing the Nassau Coliseum. He's been doing a world tour with the yellow one most of the year with Sonu, the Indian pop star.

He was in town doing an Indian music fest show and called asking if I wanted to be on his guest list....but warned me that it was like four hours of hardcore Indian dance and music stuff. I was tied up and couldn't go. I mentioned it to some of the Indian folks I know who own/work at the local delis new me....they ALL freaked out and said they would have paid BIG bucks to have gotten backstage.

Go figure :)

BTW.....If anyone spots a Kubicki FACTOR (that's the non-drop D model in 34-inch scale) in the same red and the one in this string....drop me an email. My bud is looking for a fretted one.

I actually have one but I got it from Stu Hamm and the neck is from a rare two-neck/matching SN# set.  Stu said Satriani forced him to get a 34-inch one when he was playing with him, insisting he could hear that the low E was not thick enough on the 32-inch scale ExFactor.

Good ears...or bullsh*t ?  I can maybe see hearing the difference between a 30.5 inch short scale bass and a long scale 34.....but between a 32 and a 34?  Especially when the low D drops to a FAT 36-inch scale when the lever is up......I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think the seller didn't know enough to check the bass out and highlight the electronics.  Oh well, too bad!

Don't get Dave started on 32" scales!  Please!!!  IMHO, the active electronics more than make up for any loss of tone on this bass.  Positions 2 and 3 could kill you if your amp is up too high!  And the drop D is so cool, I've been looking for every opportunity to use it.  Now that has some bass to it!  Besides, don't some folks refer to the Kubicki as "no treble?"  Must be a reason.

Didin't make it to practice Wednesday, I got a serious sore throat and cold.  Will try again next week.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »
BTW.....WHAT's that Ric 4005 copy on your wall, a Shaftsbury?

That's one he built from scratch.

Don't get Dave started on 32" scales!  Please!!!  IMHO, the active electronics more than make up for any loss of tone on this bass.  Positions 2 and 3 could kill you if your amp is up too high!  And the drop D is so cool, I've been looking for every opportunity to use it.  Now that has some bass to it!  Besides, don't some folks refer to the Kubicki as "no treble?"  Must be a reason.

That's Uwe, not me. Big difference between a short and long scale E, but I've never really done any comparisons with 32" vs. 34" scale. There's got to be a difference, I don't know how significant it might be. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 04:04:37 AM »

That's Uwe, not me. Big difference between a short and long scale E, but I've never really done any comparisons with 32" vs. 34" scale. There's got to be a difference, I don't know how significant it might be.

Oops, forgot to answer that question! Thanks Dave.

Here's a link:  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2028.300/

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 05:51:58 AM »
Not the last post, Bill.. start him from the beginning... ;)

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2028.0
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
Not the last post, Bill.. start him from the beginning... ;)

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2028.0

Oops, thanks Kenny.  These computers confuse the heck out of me.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »
They scare the heck out of me, but keep me employed... ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »
They scare the heck out of me, but keep me employed... ;)

I think of the computer as a tool, like an electric drill.  i understand basically how it its internals work, but care most how it helps me get things done!  I know just enough to be considered a nuisance.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
... and that's where I come in... ;)

The thing with modern technology is that it's so ultimately disposable and designed that way, and we are suckered into the idea that the next best thing leads to the next best thing... bless 'em... :mrgreen:

[cynic] There's this new curved screen TV that they are pushing that has effectively no advantages, is viciously expensive, and they are trying to create a market... somewhat like the 3DTV nonsense... it is only producing an image that is viewed through special glasses to decode it... please, someone, show me the evidence that a good quality HDTV could not show that image... [/cynic]

Mind you, with no PC, no www, where would we be...? :o

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
I find myself teetering on the edge between computer user and IT guy.  I don't have the training or background to decipher IP numbers, the sequences of switches and other equipment needed to build a network, nor could I build a computer without some study.  All my minimal code knowledge is old DOS stuff and basic HTML, so that's all outdated.

However, I lead a tech unit that is completely dependent on computers for class delivery and remote control of equipment.  We often get into the edges of programming and control systems, Cat5 cables and various other aspects of the IT world.

The net result is that I know more than most users, but that also helps me realize just how vast my ignorance of the rest of the IT world is.

I guess the more you learn in any field, the more you realize you still have to learn.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 03:25:21 PM »

Mind you, with no PC, no www, where would we be...? :o

I agree Kenny, a lot of products are engineer's dreams looking for a customer.  As for your last question, I suppose we'd be hanging out in our backyards chatting with our neighbors and playing with our kids.  How quaint!   :P

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
I resemble that remark... if I type this much, imagine what it's like in the flesh... :o

I guess the more you learn in any field, the more you realize you still have to learn.

Back in the early eighties it was suggested that I go for an MCSE/A route and get a "job-for-life", but I pointed out "why would I want a job where I would have to get retrained every six months...?" :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
I resemble that remark... if I type this much, imagine what it's like in the flesh... :o

Back in the early eighties it was suggested that I go for an MCSE/A route and get a "job-for-life", but I pointed out "why would I want a job where I would have to get retrained every six months...?" :mrgreen:

that's easy.  Things are moving so fast that we just keep continually scanning the event horizon (sounds familiar...?) and retraining ourselves as we go.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:09 AM »
Played the Kubicki at practice and it did a nice job.  The active electronics are huge and I needed to learn to tame it down.  I switched to passive and I got a great tone out of the pickups.  Really liked that!  An easy bass to play and I used the drop D on 3 songs.  Really cool touch.  It's going back again for more experimenting.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »
Bill, color me jealous but happy for you on the Kubicki. I fell in love with those way back when and found a few that really felt good in my hands. I loved the D lever and thought it was ingenious. All that said, I never sprang for one (too poor at the time and when I had money I wanted other things), but still have a soft spot for them. I hope it ends up a keeper!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 06:24:01 AM »

Yeah, blame the kraut when he's not around! I hate it when after two comparatively minor transgressions in 1914 and 1939 we always end up as SSscapegoatSS.

A 32" E - in my irrelevant book - doesn't have the ferocity of a 34", but there are three other strings to play on/with and E strings are overrated anyway, it's the place to catch your breath after you have run out of ideas.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Besides, the E of an X-Factor is not really medium scale, it is is Rickenbakerish semi-long scale (mind you: the E of a Ric is not a Fender or Gibson long scale E either) in its extended D mode.

Why anybody would call a Kubicki "no treble" is beyond me, you can klänk wiff dat zzzing like hell (unless you go into that ultra low bass reggae mode it offers), it's hugely respnsive and attack-happy bass, that multi-ply neck is not just fast to play, but also fast in transmitting tone (though a bit dead/clinical too)!

Kubickis are cool whether the classic X-Factor or the one I have (34" Factor), so was John Taylor's haircut btw!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:30:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...