Author Topic: Kubicki basses  (Read 5910 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Kubicki basses
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
It's here.  Nice condition, a little checking on the back, one nick.  The neck is in great shape.  No problems.  The electronics are really neat.  I had one active bass before and I actually liked it, but sold it for something else.  This one has so much tonal variety.  Thus far, my B-15 likes it.  I found an old manual online and it said the 1990's kubickis had a  4 position switch, but mine has 5.  Anyone know how that happened?

I tired the drop D switch and it was very cool.  The neck is nice and slim, just the way I like them.  A very original bass.  Pics later!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 04:29:52 AM »
Duh!  I checked again and the rotary switch has 6 positions like the early Kubickis.  Cool!  I'm gonna open the control plate to see how many volts this thing is.

I'm also going to lower the action a bit and maybe change the strings.  The neck is straight as an arrow and the frets are in very good shape.  The tuners work really well.  I always thought they looked difficult to turn but they are smooth and effortless.

The drop d switch is unexpectedly neat.  I didn't think Id use it, but it works easily and you don't have to rethink where you're at on the e string.  We actually play a couple songs in D and I can use this for some nice deep bassiness.  Simple and neat idea.

This bass is such a modern alternative to everything else I have.  It will take some time to learn all of the features of the electronics.  So far, it's pretty nice.

The shape of the body really fits comfortably.  Lots of thought went into its design, obviously. 

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »
The 6-position switch means, either it was early enough after Fender took over and fell into the period where they were building them while using up old Kubicki parts in stock....or a previous owner had Phil update the Fender electronics to Kibicki ones.

Is your SN around 1250-1400 range or so?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
The 6-position switch means, either it was early enough after Fender took over and fell into the period where they were building them while using up old Kubicki parts in stock....or a previous owner had Phil update the Fender electronics to Kibicki ones.

Is your SN around 1250-1400 range or so?

I was wondering about that since I read about that in a different post/forum.  My number is 2065.  We'll see what I find when I open it up.  Too much to do today, may not get to it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 03:07:27 AM »
I've got the 18v electronics in my bass!  That's a lot of juice.  So I could have Kubicki electronics in it, right?  Geez, now I'm gonna have to stock 9v batteries.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:05:38 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »
Here she is:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »
That is real pretty, and I'll bet there's no neck dive.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:40:32 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
Sounds like you'll bond with it.  :)

If it's like active basses I've owned, batteries usually last a long time.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
I never changed the battery in my RD... even when it had the Moog... :mrgreen:

Nice bass, Bill... nice bass...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
That is real pretty, and I'll get there's no neck dive.

Nope, not at all.  A very comfortable bass to wear.  We'll see how she feels after two hours of practice tonight.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 05:28:11 AM »
Sounds like you'll bond with it.  :)

If it's like active basses I've owned, batteries usually last a long time.

Yeah,so far it's so different from all my others, it's a bit of a treat to fiddle with.  I do love the shorter slimmer neck and ergo body.  Two of the active settings are huge.  They shake the whole house when I switch them on!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 05:30:28 AM »
I never changed the battery in my RD... even when it had the Moog... :mrgreen:

Nice bass, Bill... nice bass...

Good to know about e batteries guys, thanks. They are beauties.  I was bidding on a lake placid blue one but I'm just as happy with the red.  I think I got a hidden bonus with the 18v setup.  The seller should have highlighted that I his ad, but he didn't.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »
Nice score!! Looks really clean and the 18volt electronics is a real bonus!

My bud who I trade my minty bright yellow one (SN#555) for his SN#044 called me last weekend when he was in NY playing the Nassau Coliseum. He's been doing a world tour with the yellow one most of the year with Sonu, the Indian pop star.

He was in town doing an Indian music fest show and called asking if I wanted to be on his guest list....but warned me that it was like four hours of hardcore Indian dance and music stuff. I was tied up and couldn't go. I mentioned it to some of the Indian folks I know who own/work at the local delis new me....they ALL freaked out and said they would have paid BIG bucks to have gotten backstage.

Go figure :)

BTW.....If anyone spots a Kubicki FACTOR (that's the non-drop D model in 34-inch scale) in the same red and the one in this string....drop me an email. My bud is looking for a fretted one.

I actually have one but I got it from Stu Hamm and the neck is from a rare two-neck/matching SN# set.  Stu said Satriani forced him to get a 34-inch one when he was playing with him, insisting he could hear that the low E was not thick enough on the 32-inch scale ExFactor.

Good ears...or bullsh*t ?  I can maybe see hearing the difference between a 30.5 inch short scale bass and a long scale 34.....but between a 32 and a 34?  Especially when the low D drops to a FAT 36-inch scale when the lever is up......I don't know.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:18:30 AM by mc2NY »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
That does look like a bass that you could settle for owning just one. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
BTW.....WHAT's that Ric 4005 copy on your wall, a Shaftsbury?