Author Topic: 50th. Anniversary CAR Jazz  (Read 20384 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: 50th. Anniversary CAR Jazz
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »
Well, I got a surprise today.     :-[   I was going to restring the jazz bass and I noticed something funny looking around the bottom edges of all 4 string ferrules.  After a closer look, I realized the nitro finish was bunching up and starting to lift off.  It's almost like they installed the ferrules before the nitro was fully cured.  So, I talked to my guy at the shop and he's gonna call Fender.  I want the bass and they don't have another since it was from 2009.  I do know I can return it for a full refund, the shop is really good about that.   I'm going for a warranty repair as the entire headstock probably needs to be refinished and new decal installed.

Oh well!  This is probably the first time I haven't just swapped it for something else, but I really DO WANT this particular bass.  So, we'll see how good Fender's customer service is on this one!  
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
That's too bad. Is this a new (NOS) bass from 2009? It should be covered. If it's used, I'll be surprised if Fender does anything since their instrument warranty isn't transferable.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
That's too bad. Is this a new (NOS) bass from 2009? It should be covered. If it's used, I'll be surprised if Fender does anything since their instrument warranty isn't transferable.

The bass is new, I'm the first owner.  Thank heaven!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
 Oh man that's a bummer. Makes Gibsons qc look pretty good huh?  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
Oh man that's a bummer. Makes Gibsons qc look pretty good huh?  ;D

Let's face it, Fender is not a big nitro user and maybe this shows that!  Either way, I'm going to get it fixed and keep it if possible.  If they hassle me, I might just return it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
If it weren't so sad, I'd laugh.  Fender called the shop where I bought the CAR j bass and said they really didn't have the facilities to repair the finish on the headstock!!!  Can you believe this?  They turn a couple thousand of these things, but they can fix one?  Or do a new neck and swap it out?  The a-hole Fender rep even offered me $300 to keep the bass and go away.  I told the shop to tell him to stuff it where the sun don't shine and fix the damn bass.  Now that they've tipped their hand, I'm not giving in!!!   >:(  I don't want my money back, or a discount for a screwed up finish.  I want the warrany adhered to, period.  Should be a long interesting road we're headed down.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Ah nothing like a good brawl. ;D It appears that you have dug in. My condolences to Fender. Seriously this is a bunch of crap Fender should be ashamed.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
If it weren't so sad, I'd laugh.  Fender called the shop where I bought the CAR j bass and said they really didn't have the facilities to repair the finish on the headstock!!!  Can you believe this?  They turn a couple thousand of these things, but they can fix one?  Or do a new neck and swap it out?  The a-hole Fender rep even offered me $300 to keep the bass and go away.  I told the shop to tell him to stuff it where the sun don't shine and fix the damn bass.  Now that they've tipped their hand, I'm not giving in!!!   >:(  I don't want my money back, or a discount for a screwed up finish.  I want the warrany adhered to, period.  Should be a long interesting road we're headed down.

Well, since you have plenty of other basses to play, you're ready to be stubborn and let them take as long as it requires, aren't you?

Good for you!

They may be in the business of production, not repairs, but they need to take care of their products.

Fender is learning a lesson: NOBODY can sweat the details harder than a pissed-off academic.  Details are what they live by.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
I was under the impression that any repairs under Fender's warranty were done by authorized dealers, not the factory. So it doesn't surprise me that they won't fix it at the factory. But if they don't have an authorized dealer who can do the work, then the warranty isn't worth much.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 03:40:40 AM »
An offer of $300 doesn't seem unreasonable to fix something that will require a maximum 2 hours labor and $5 material .  Especially if Fender supplies the correct decal, which they have done in the past.

I'd prefer to choose who does the repair than to trust the people who screwed up to do it correctly.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »
Good points everyone, especially Carlo's comments.  I reread the warranty and I don't see why it can't be fixed locally instead of screwing around with the factory in CA.  I'm going to suggest exactly that.  Have it down locally and send the shop a new decal.  Duh!!!!

Hell, I could do it myself, but why should I?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 06:55:04 AM »
You shouldn't be expected to under any circumstances. OTOH if they gave you the finishing materials and decal along with the $300 and agreed to consider it the same as an authorized repair, you might want to go for it.

That doesn't change my dim view of the way they responded.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
$300 and correct decal seems like a fair deal.   i agree though it doesn't let them off the hook.   they must be spending too much ime distressing finishes and charging a premium.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
$300 and correct decal seems like a fair deal.   i agree though it doesn't let them off the hook.   they must be spending too much ime distressing finishes and charging a premium.....

That must be it. I'm surprised they aren't demanding that Bill pay them an additional $300 to relic it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
Things might be resolved tomorrow.  I'll report when I hear.