Author Topic: Uwe it is your duty...  (Read 3981 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Uwe it is your duty...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »
Pickups way back or no, the LPB-1 (three-knob passive flavor) is a phenomenally good sounding instrument. Mine's been my go-to bass for several years now.  Mahogany plus ebony fretboard is a really nice combination, but I think what gets heard is mostly the pickups.   Last time I recorded, running it direct via the preamp on my GB Shuttle with a hint of overdrive, the (well known) mix engineer solo'd the bass track and said "Oh yeah, THAT is a great bass sound."  :) :)

And I'm not normally a fan of black hardware, but with the yellowburst on mine it looks so cool:

I saw it on auction on ebay some years back and couldn't restrain myself, I bought it totally on impulse - something I've rarely done and usually regretted, but this one's a long-term keeper.  If only it weren't so heavy!

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
Pickups way back or no, the LPB-1 (three-knob passive flavor) is a phenomenally good sounding instrument. Mine's been my go-to bass for several years now.  Mahogany plus ebony fretboard is a really nice combination, but I think what gets heard is mostly the pickups.

I have a 4 knob, but I removed the Bartolini pre. Near perfect sounding bass! Somewhere between a T-bird and an Alembic. I think the ebony board contributes to that. Mine is incredibly light. Currently in the shop...  :-\

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
Pickups way back or no, the LPB-1 (three-knob passive flavor) is a phenomenally good sounding instrument. Mine's been my go-to bass for several years now.  Mahogany plus ebony fretboard is a really nice combination, but I think what gets heard is mostly the pickups.   Last time I recorded, running it direct via the preamp on my GB Shuttle with a hint of overdrive, the (well known) mix engineer solo'd the bass track and said "Oh yeah, THAT is a great bass sound."  :) :)

And I'm not normally a fan of black hardware, but with the yellowburst on mine it looks so cool:

I saw it on auction on ebay some years back and couldn't restrain myself, I bought it totally on impulse - something I've rarely done and usually regretted, but this one's a long-term keeper.  If only it weren't so heavy!

I've always held that the 90ies LP basses are fine instruments and among the best basses Gibson did, the Deluxe models being my only reservation for their very much of their time "neutral" sound, but both Specials and Standards are fine rock basses with an edge. Even the TCT harness doesn't change that on the active versions (as long as TB Plus pups and not the Bartolinis are used), it just overdoes it - too much of a good thing. Nobody needs a boosted TB Plus pup, they are raunchy enough as is.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
raunchy enough as is

Yes!  Exhibit A: https://myspace.com/theworldrecordplayers/music/songs

Tracks 2-6, 8, 10, 11 are the LPB-1, mostly neck pickup.  I'm especially fond of "It Won't be Long" and "Charlatan the Meek" and "Where Am I Now?"

Tracks 7, 9, and 12  were my Greco bird, and benefitted from being tracked in a real studio (DRUMS!!).
Track 1 is the oldest of these and I can't remember if it was the greco.  But probably, that's what I was favoring back then (2007?  These dates are wrong.)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Can't get the music to run!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
Weird. Works fine here??  Either the "Play all" button or click the track number next to each title.  I tried both Chrome and Firefox (that's all the browsers I got).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
Probably don't have the newest Explorer generation here in the office ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »
Cool band slinkp, sounds like a fun group to jam with. Your singer sounds like a mix of Michael Stipe and Rick Danko.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
i agree. my 92 LPB-1 always sounds great, through any amp.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »
I may still have a copy of that brochure somewhere. IIRC it was from early '93.

I have two Gibson bass posters that have Nikki Sixx with a Thunderbird on one side, and the reverse shows "The Bass Collection".  Both posters are dated '93- one version shows the EB-650/750 while the other does not.  Both posters list all the LP basses as having the TCT preamp.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
The one I have is the lower one, without the 650 and 750.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
Both of them resounding commercial successes with notable longevity in production.  :-X

BlendedCat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
... as a Gibson bass lover to check out one of these shows: https://www.facebook.com/135339756866/photos/a.135475391866.123164.135339756866/10151904792501867/?type=1&theater

http://supersuckers.com/tour/

Eddie Spaghetti's bass is an early 90's black Les Paul Standard with a three point bridge. I have never seen him use anything else live. Covering the ground of both Gibson basses and three-point bridges, you are required to attend. Their music may come off across as a bit simplistic for your tastes, but I promise that you will never see a work harder. I think you would enjoy it.
They're coming to the Gothic Theater in Englewood eh.  Well its a little on the ecletric side for a 60 year old, but a pair of Stella cats eye contacts and with the medicinal vaps in full bloom I should be able to slip in un-noticed.  Looks like a interesting band.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »
You'd be surprised at how NOT out of the ordinary an older fan will be. The music those guys play harkens back to the times of REAL bands and most of their fans are generally older than that music might be expected to represent. The young-uns are into bad hip hop and hipster "fauxicana" when they're not eating up the drivel that is spoon-fed to them by American Idol and don't really 'do' concerts anyway.